Thursday, March 14, 2013

{Out of the Blue} Seeing faith lived out

With my two kids in tow, as usual, I finished my grocery shopping, handed the check-out cashier my stack of coupons, and realized I didn't have my wallet, much less the $104.10 to pay for everything bagged and sitting back in my cart.

I was totally embarrassed.

I started explaining the cashier that I’d be back as soon as I drove the 1.2 miles home to get my wallet. I told her I’d check in my minivan, but I was pretty sure it wasn't in there because I’d just picked up my purse and set it in the van before coming to Kroger. We hadn't stopped anywhere else along the way.

In my mind, I knew Ben was to blame, but I didn't feel right about blaming what seemed like forgetfulness on my 31-month-old son.

As I was mumbling to the cashier, probably hoping nobody else would hear me, the lady behind me spoke up, asking if she could help. I realized I knew her. And I realized she probably was offering to watch the kids while I ran out to the parking lot. I explained I was certain my wallet wasn’t in there. She opened her checkbook and asked the cashier for the total, saying I could send her a check later.


Kristen at Chasing Blue Skies has a weekly link-up about surprises. This week share about a mistake you made – even an ‘oops’ moment – and how your lesson learned or God’s grace from the mistake surprised you.



My mistake in not making sure I had my wallet before I got up to the cash register and my boy's mistake of getting into my purse were covered with kindness. In that moment, I was reminded of some of the advantages of small-town living, thankful for her kindness, and relieved my embarrassment was resolved. And I didn’t even yell at my son for the role I was certain he played in the scenario.

When we got to our Chrysler Town & Country, I asked him where my wallet was. “In play room,” he said. By play room, he means living room, which had been his room of choice this particular week.


See, I know my boy.

I saw the evidence as soon as I approached the living room couch. My wallet was lying open with its contents surrounding it. And there were empty gum wrappers right next to the couch on the floor.

Guilty.

How did I know? Mommas know.

And, well, my boy was in the midst of an on-going fascination with getting into my purse and carrying off items that seemed interesting. Thing is, this was during a couple weeks when I was being challenged to take the biblical book of James to heart: Consider trials joys. Persevere. Demonstrate faith in deeds. Draw near to God. Be humble. Realize we’re not in control. Pray. Be patient. 

I was in the midst of an eight-week study of James by Beth Moore and being given ample opportunities to live out my faith, thanks to my adventurous, fearless, into-everything boy.

Near to this wallet incident were the morning Ben accidentally locked himself in his room just as we needed to leave to get to the weekly James study on time; the moment Ben peed all over the bathroom rug just after I cheered for him peeing on the potty for the first time; the time Ben squeezed every medicine, diaper cream and lotion stored on a high shelf in his room all into the carpet; and the discovery Ben took apart the air conditioning vent and apparently lost the vent cover, which I was sure was dropped into the actual vent but ended up resurfacing days later from its yet-to-be-determined hiding place.

Peace came over me when my embarrassment was turned to testimony of God being in control even when I don’t see a convenient way out. Peace came over me when I chose not to yell even though I was frustrated. Peace came over me when I laughed about it later.

Now I hang my purse up near the door, where, for now, it’s out of reach of those little, curious hands. And my faith is stronger.
________

Want more? Subscribe to get "Insights" in your inbox. Like 152 Insights on Facebook. Or follow me on Twitter and Instagram.

6 comments:

  1. I love seeing life through your eyes and all the ways you see God in everything, Kristin. So, so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. KristinHillTaylor3/14/2013 1:48 PM

    Thanks, Kristen. I'd be a mess if it all -- whatever the "it" of the day is -- didn't have a reason for happening. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't help but to think of a similar situation when I realized I had lost my wallet while at the check out counter. I regret that I did not have a godly moment upon my discovery. But by the time I was finally letting my heart settle and asking God for forgiveness for my reaction..someone appeared at my door with my wallet in hand. I enjoyed your words Kristin and so happy to connect here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. KristinHillTaylor3/14/2013 6:08 PM

    Oh, that's awesome that you got your wallet back anyway. God is so good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an wonderful story! (and only by the grace of God has that not happened to me...I've happened to notice that my wallet was out of my purse before I tried to pay). Oh, those little 3 year old boys!!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. KristinHillTaylor3/15/2013 11:18 AM

    Boys! :)

    ReplyDelete