Wednesday, March 13, 2013

What I believe makes me who I am


I've had the Apostles' Creed memorized for a long time. I knew the words long before I understood their meaning. Then somewhere along the way, I became a Third Day fan. Hearing Mac Powell sing Rich Mullins' "Creed" always makes me turn up the volume.

Third Day at Lovett Auditorium in Murray, KY on March 10, 2013
Hearing it live on Sunday night was good for my soul. Plus, well, I hope that heaven sounds like Mac Powell. {That video is from a different conference, but, hey, you get the idea and I highly recommend you listen.}

In those few minutes Sunday so many moments collided in my mind.

There were memories of my childhood days spent in a Catholic church pew. Conversations through the years with friends while I searched for meaning replayed in my head. And I remembered so many decisions that led me here to a life that is nothing like I expected yet everything I've ever wanted.

I do believe in God the Father, almighty maker of heaven and earth.

I do believe in Jesus Christ, the only son of our Lord, who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died and was buried.

I do believe on the third day he rose and ascended into heaven.

I do believe he'll come again to judge the living and the dead.

I do believe in the Holy Spirit.

I do believe in one holy church.

I do believe in community.

I do believe in the forgiveness of sins.

I do believe in life everlasting.

And, yes, believing this truth of God makes me who I am.
________

What timing! I had this post mentioning my Catholic childhood brewing before Jorge Mario Bergoglio was named the next pope. 

Want more? Subscribe to get "Insights" in your inbox. Like 152 Insights on Facebook. Or follow me on Twitter and Instagram.

2 comments:

  1. Jennie Woelpern3/13/2013 9:24 PM

    That brought back memories from my days at Catholic church.

    ReplyDelete
  2. KristinHillTaylor3/13/2013 9:40 PM

    We'll have to discuss our Catholic church days sometime. :)

    ReplyDelete