Wednesday, February 13, 2013

{Compassion} Life in community


"They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. Everyone was filled with awe at the many wonders and signs performed by the apostles. All the believers were together and had everything in common. They sold property and possessions to give to anyone who had need. Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved."


I've learned about community by living in it. I have four close friends who I text almost daily and usually see at least once a week, if not more often. I have a couple other dear friends who I would see regularly, if they just lived closer. I have ongoing conversation with one via email and am usually engaged in a game of phone tag with the other. Then there is a bigger circle of friends from church and who are friends of my closest friends with whom I share life  on a less frequent but still regular basis.

These are the people who brought me meals when we brought babies home. They are the ones who text me just to check on me. They are the ones I ask to help me with my kids when I need to go to the doctor and my mother-in-law isn't available. We brainstorm and problem solve and dream. We tackle frustrations. We organize parties and events. We pray for each other. Our kids don't know live apart from each other. We share dinners and game nights around my kitchen table. Sometimes our kids even share strep throat.

We share life. 

And it's in living like this that I learned the value of serving one another. God got my attention in the everyday moments through texts and phone calls, while sitting on the park bench watching our kids play, around the dinner table, and at baby showers and birthday parties. I want to help them when my friends are sick or stressed. I want to have their kids in my house. I want to make room for on my calendar. I want to give to them and learn from them.

It's because of these same relationships I'm spurred on to help others outside my tribe of people. Some of my favorite people to help are little ones who remind me of my own kids yet live lives in such different conditions in other countries. Sponsoring kids through Compassion International has become part of our life in community. These kids we've never met yet love already have found their ways into a birthday party and a church service. And their pictures are hanging from my real-life friends' refrigerators.

Won't you consider opening your community to these little people who need an extra dose of love?

________

I'm linking this post with fellow Compassion Bloggers sharing which Bible verses prompt them to serve others. Want more? Subscribe to get "Insights" in your inbox. Like 152 Insights on Facebook. Or follow me on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment