Wednesday, February 13, 2013

{#TellHisStory} Run your race

Yesterday at Madeira Beach, Florida.

We were going to run almost a mile from the condo that was ours for four nights to that green condo down
the beach. And back. As music spurred me on, I continually glanced toward the green condo and was tempted to turn around when we were almost there. The excuses filled my head: Running almost to the green condo is better than not running at all. I'm just doing this for myself, what does it matter how far I run? I still have to run back to our condo, so it's better to turn around now.

While these things are true, they aren't the Truth.

Then I noticed my shins weren't hurting like they had been back home on asphalt. Score another point for the beach being a good retreat for me. The sand gave my shins a break from feeling like they were pounding into Kentucky pavement. This fact gave me a burst of energy. Had you been running along side of me, you may not have actually been able to see it. But I could feel it. Inside myself.

Nothing God says in the Bible applies directly to how far I should/could/would run. But he does promise to finish what he's started. He does ask us to take care of bodies, where his spirit dwells. And he gives hope.

So as much as I wanted to, I didn't turn around early. I even made it by the flock of birds that I feared would fly near my head. {That's my husband threatening to scare them away as he runs in front of me. That is love.}

While I felt the tiredness in my legs, God reminded me that he'll replace our anxiety with his peace as we press through the temptation to quit. He'll be on the other side. He'll be there when it's time to turn around. And he'll be there when we're tired from yet relieved with finishing what we started.

Take heart, friends. Run through the finish line. 

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow wearing and lose heart. 

Yes, glance ahead and know what's coming and where you're going. Maybe even give yourself a chance of scenery. But trust the maker of it all to get you there, past your fears, with earthly support by your side. The victory is coming because it's already won. A few nails sealed it. Today is the beginning of Lent, a season that anticipates the resurrection of our savior. What better time to commit to run the race before us. 
________

I'm linking up with Jennifer Dukes Lee and other storytellers. #TellHisStory is a chance to tell a story that connects your story to God's story. Want more? Subscribe to get "Insights" in your inbox. Like 152 Insights on Facebook. Or follow me on Twitter.

2 comments:

  1. Stopping by from #TellHisStory ... Great post! It reminds me of when I trained for a marathon, I had never even run 1 mile through without stopping when I started training, it took me 18 months but I run 26.2 miles. all things truly are possible with God! Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! I wish I liked running, but I'm trying to do it a little at a time. :)

      Delete