Tuesday, March 13, 2012

making memories matters


Life gets busy. People move away, start careers, get married, move some more, and talk about getting together. Often time passes more and we still talk about getting together.

We got together.

And it was good.

The four of us were friends in college. You've heard me mention Jaclyn often because our lives have remained so intertwined the past 14 years. I'm so grateful for meeting her then and getting even closer the summer we both got married {going on 10 years!}. I'm blessed by the way God continued to weave our lives together when Greg and I moved back to Murray. We struggled to have families and then God blessed our two families with five kids in five years. Now our kids don't know life without each other.

We were so excited to get two of our other college friends back in Murray for at least a short time this past weekend. Kelly {that's her in the green on the left in the picture} and I actually went to high school together, but we really got to be friends while walking from college algebra to political science together my freshman year. She has transferred to Murray State from Western Kentucky. We both were new to Murray and found comfort in the familiar. Our friendship grew from there. Watching our kids, especially our 4-year-old girls, play together this weekend was so, so sweet. And Greg and I loved hanging out with her husband, Carlos.

I met Sarah {in the black on the right in the picture} the same night I met Greg. And then when he studied in Germany for four months after we'd only known each other six months, I befriended his friend Sarah. She's creative and funny and she's trying to publish a book while living in Chicago with her husband.

We aren't together enough, but being together was good.

Our kids had fun too ...

Jaclyn, Kelly and I combine to have seven kids, ages 5 (almost 6), 4 (going on 5), 4 1/2, 3 (nearly 4), two 2s, and 18 months. I told Sarah she was going to leave Murray either wanting kids now ... or never. They're entertaining, that's for sure.

We walked around campus, grilled out, talked, laughed, ate and ate some more, reminisced, played the Name Game and laughed some more on Saturday. Cate was happy for her first sleepover with a friend. She and Amilia went right to sleep in Cate's bunk beds, but apparently the sleepover chit-chat took place had some crazy-early hour on Sunday morning, when we had lost an hour of sleep, thanks to the time change.

Even so, memories were made.

On Sunday, Kelly, Jaclyn and I took our girls to see Disney Live's "Three Classic Fairytales." It was a well-done show with lots of glitter.

 
Being with the girls -- especially my girl -- was fun. The weekend reminded me how blessed we are to have a shared history that makes being together such a meaningful time and it all makes me look forward to the next time.
________

Want more? Subscribe to get "Insights" in your inbox. Or follow me on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment