Thursday, March 15, 2012

{Racers} Game One

Photo by Jeff Moreland

To say I was excited when Murray State was put in the Louisville site for the second and third rounds of the NCAA is an understatement. I told some people I was so, so excited and stinkin' excited. Those phrases don't even do it justice.

So, yes, we watched sixth-seeded Murray State beat Colorado State, an 11 seed, 58-41 earlier today. It was the first game of the real tournament (not counting those play-in games) and it was the first time the Racers have ever been the higher-seeded team.

That's just how this season has been. Full of firsts. Perhaps there will been thoroughly compiled list later.

But for now I'll just say the Racers (31-1) gutted out a win in an ugly game that included a disjointed offense but a respectable defense. And champions find ways to win.

And when your team wins, it keeps playing. That's what I told my 4-year-old girl who rooted on the Racers with us today. (My 2-year-old boy spent the day with Grandmom. See? Another perk of being in my hometown Louisville.)

Oh, and I'm a born and bred Kentucky fan. Being in the Yum! Center was an experience, especially since I didn't have to watch the Cardinals. My ticket Saturday will get me into see two games. Murray State will play Marquette. And Kentucky will be there too. Perhaps we can get Big Blue Nation to cheer for the navy blue team.

Just for 40 minutes.

Perhaps.

I know for whom I'll be cheering. Like you see us doing in the photo above, pump your arms in the air and say, "R-A-C-E-R-S! Racers! Racers! Go Racers!"

________
 
(And much thanks to photographer Jeff Moreland for waving to me from the court and then later catching us in action. We worked together at the Richmond Register, where I was a reporter from 2002-03.) Want more? Subscribe to get "Insights" in your inbox. Or follow me on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment