Friday, February 9, 2007

simple pleasures

Most of us miss out on life's big prizes. The Pulitzer. The Nobel. Oscars. Tonys. Emmys. But we're all eligible for life's small pleasures. ... An empty parking space. A cracking fire. A great meal. A glorious sunset. Hot soup. ... Don't fret about copping life's grand awards. Enjoy its tiny delights. There are plenty for all of us. --United Technologies Corporation Ad

The small pleasures of my week have included lunches with some girl friends of mine. One was with my favorite nurse from the women's clinic here. We got to know each other during all my trips to the doctor's office. She's also had trouble getting pregnant and has considered adoption. While chatting with her, I got to eat a bread bowl with clam chowder from Quizno's. Then later in the week I had a spur-of-the-moment lunch with Jaclyn. We see each other often and talk and e-mail even more, but it was a pleasant surprise in my work week. Then today I had lunch with a friend from church who has adopted her two kids and had a lot of insight, newborn clothes, book and bottles for me. Her baby doesn't like his car seat, so I think she appreciated the company. And I certainly appreciated learning more details of her experiences.

Other small pleasures from my week ...

the metaphors in Grey's Anatomy that kept me hanging on for another week ... sleeping so soundly the covers barely moved ... wearing sweaters ... hearing an almost 3-year-old tell her mom I was really nice ... my T-shirt blanket ... buying presents ... apples and Diet Dr Pepper in the mornings ... e-mails from high school friends ... eating nachos and granola bars for dinner

No comments:

Post a Comment