Thursday, March 10, 2016

On why you should have Slugs & Bugs' new CD in your home


My kids sometimes bust out on the Ten Commandments in silly voices.

I barely notice, really. But this is Randall Goodgame’s influence on my family.

Goodgame is the creative singer/songwriter behind Slugs & Bugs music. And he’s managed to sing scripture in a way that seeps into kids’ hearts once again with “Sing the Bible Vol. 2.” Oh, who am I kidding, this album helps me learn and remember scripture too.

I may have left it playing one morning when the kids weren’t even in the minivan with me. Now that’s a true testimony to how good this music is. Yes, it’s music aimed at children, but it’s so good even adults want to listen. {Tweet that.}

So, yeah, Randall Goodgame has my kids reciting the Ten Commandments in funny voices and saying things like “Honor your parents, Clarence.” But he also has the word of God dwelling in their minds.

Here’s the song list and the corresponding scriptures …

  1. Do You Not Know – Isaiah 40:28-31
  2. Let Your Light Shine – Matthew 5:14, 16
  3. The Ten Commandments
  4. The Love Of Christ – Ephesians 3:16-21
  5. Masterpiece – Ephesians 2:8-10
  6. Whoever Sows – 2 Corinthians 9:6-7
  7. Hear, O Israel – Deuteronomy 6:4, 6-7
  8. Stars – Philippians 2:14-16
  9. Raisins – Song of Solomon 2:5
  10. Above Yourselves – Philippians 2:3
  11. In All Things – 1 Peter 4:12-13, Romans 8:28, John 16:33
  12. Do Not Worry – Matthew 6:25-26, 28-33
  13. You Forgave Me – Psalm 32:1-5
  14. By His Wounds – Isaiah 53:5-6

My kids would probably tell you the Ten Commandments song was their favorite, but they also laugh about raisins and recognize truth about things working together for the good and not worrying about tomorrow.

Some of my favorites: “Let Your Light Shine” is an anthem of why our good deeds matter. “The Love of Christ” is a fun, upbeat song that makes includes a gospel choir. “Hear, O Israel” proclaims God’s presence in our everyday lives and makes me want to clap my hands.

Here is more about the CD from Randall Goodgame himself:

“Almost every day, I pray my kids will grow more aware of God's love for them. Just like you and me, when kids know they are loved, they behave differently. They transform. I've been calling ‘Sing the Bible Vol. 2’ a ‘musical handbook for the Christian home’ because the verses give practical instruction for those transforming people. Of course, without God's love and transforming power, we are left with a bunch of rules we can never fully obey. That's why this CD also highlights Scriptures which bring to mind God's presence and power, his limitless love and his ultimate sacrifice. Taken together, listened to (over and over) in the minivan and in the home, these songs provide raw material for the Lord to use to build strong faith in parents and kids. Oh yeah, and it's really fun and groovy. And there are monsters. And raccoons. And a sharkbug. And raisins.”

Who wouldn’t that for their family? I know we’re glad we’ve let Slugs & Bugs – the music, not the creatures – into our home and hearts.

Head over to the Slugs & Bugs’ website and get your copy. It officially releases March 18, but you can preorder it now. And while you’re there, get the first volume too. (“Sing the Bible Vol. 1” is also available at Amazon.)
_____________________

If you've been around here long, you know we love Randall Goodgame and his Slugs & Bugs music. Nobody asked me to review this CD. I got some early copies that I've already gifted because I supported the album's Kickstarter campaign before it was even made. I knew it was going to be good!

_____________________

Want more insights?Subscribe to get new posts and/or a monthly newsletter with content not available on the blog in your inbox. When you subscribe, I'll send you a FREE #choosingJOY printable. 

"Peace in the Process: How Adoption Built My Faith & My Family" is available on Amazon. Like me on Facebook, follow me on Twitter, peek into my life on Instagram, or follow 152 Insights at Bloglovin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment