Friday, March 11, 2016

On sharing stories

I'm joining Kate Motaung and many other writers for Five Minute Friday. Each week, there's a prompt and then we write for five minutes. Like a flash mob of writers. 

This week's prompt: SHARE

Ready, set, go ... 



Later today I’m going to share with some homeschool students what it’s like to be a writer. My friend who organized the career fair invited me as an author/writer.

As I was jotting down notes yesterday about what I would share, I remembered how being a writer is a broad term. I’m going to share all the many ways one could be a writer – non-fiction author, fiction author, blogger, newspaper reporter, poet, screenwriter, songwriter, technical writer, speech writer.

And I’m going to share why when I was editor of my high school newspaper, I decided I really did want to be a writer. I spent four years in college working toward my print journalism degree. I had jobs where I was paid to write.

It all comes down to this: I believe in sharing stories. {Tweet that.}

Maybe that’s simplifying it all. Being a writer runs deep because it’s part of who God created me to be. Being a writer looks different with each season. But being a writer is a calling.

So that’s what I’m going to share with these students who are learning about subject-verb agreement and how to write persuasive essays. I’m going to share with them that words matter because stories are the essence of life.

And stop.
_____________________

Five Minute Friday is open to anyone. Come join us at Kate Motaung's place

Subscribe to get new posts and/or a monthly newsletter with content not available on the blog in your inbox. When you subscribe, I'll send you a FREE #choosingJOY printable. 

"Peace in the Process: How Adoption Built My Faith & My Family" is available on Amazon. Like me on Facebook, follow me on Twitter, peek into my life on Instagram, or follow 152 Insights at Bloglovin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment