Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Are you tired?


I’ve watched Rachel fall asleep a few times recently.

At first she looks around, mentally fighting the urge the sleep. She seems to think about what she might miss if she closes her eyes. Then her eye lids flutter open and close, but she’s no longer mentally fighting what she knows she wants. Her breathing changes and then her eyes stay closed. Rest comes.

(Let’s not even talk about how she doesn’t really like to be put down in her crib before 9 p.m. Thank God for the swing, which she’s sadly outgrowing, and her pleasant demeanor.)

I know what it’s like to be in the middle of wanting to rest but fighting to slow down and be still.

“Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me — watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.”
{Matt. 11:28-30 The Message}

Having a baby in the house again after six years has reminded me of how God cares for us, his children.

Rachel needs me to do everything for her – make her bottles, feed her, change her diapers, dress her, buckle her in the car seat, carry her from one place to another. At almost 6 months, she’s able to roll around, slowly getting from point A to point B, and manages to feed herself Baby Mum Mum crackers. But she’s still got a lot to learn and needs me.

God is the same with us. He tends to so many details of our lives, gives us opportunities to take care of things as we mature, and is always teaching us. Like a baby learning some independence, a faith journey is a process of maturing. {Tweet that.}

Regardless of our age or how long we’ve walked with God, we’re living in the middle of new life in Christ and our eternal home. In the middle, we are sanctified, but we won’t be perfected until we call heaven home.

The middle can be exhausting, especially when we try to carry all of life’s details ourselves. In Jesus, there is another way. He wants us to walk with him and learn from him – and that often means slowing down and finding real rest. As we do, our steps become more confident, our faith stronger, and our life freer.
_____________________


I’m excited to join Britta Lafont for her Meet Me in the Middle Project during Lent, when I’m going to slow down and notice the pieces of life I bypass in a rush. Find all the details about the Meet Me in the Middle Project here or reference Britta's introductory post.

#ThreeWordWednesday friends, I'd love for you join in Meet Me in the Middle by linking up there and here, but the weekly #ThreeWordWednesday link up is open as usual even if you're not participating in this Lenten project. I'm always so glad y'all are here.


_____________________

This isn't the first time I've written with these verses about the unforced rhythms of grace on my mind. Read other related posts here and here. Obviously, rest is a practice I'm always needing to learn about. 

I'm sharing this post with Dawn Boyer's new Grace Moments link up. Come join us there for more encouragement. 

Want more insights?Subscribe to get new posts and/or a monthly newsletter with content not available on the blog in your inbox. When you subscribe, I'll send you a FREE #choosingJOY printable. 

"Peace in the Process: How Adoption Built My Faith & My Family" is available on Amazon. Like me on Facebook, follow me on Twitter, peek into my life on Instagram, or follow 152 Insights at Bloglovin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment