Thursday, December 10, 2015

Happy birthday, Jesus! {a party tradition}


We like to celebrate Jesus’ birthday around here.

On Sunday, we gathered friends from different circles and had a birthday party for Jesus because that is the meaning of this season. This is the fifth year we’ve had this event. While each year looks different, the party itself helps kids remember why Christmas matters. We had such a good turnout this year with 47 kids.

{I’ve written about past events before. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. And today I'm at Circles of Faith sharing How to Host a Jesus Birthday for your Community. Come join me there!}

We made some crafts (thanks, Oriental Trading!) as people arrived and then Greg led a few carols on his guitar and then read “The First Christmas Night” written by Keith Christopher and illustrated by Christine Kornacki. Everyone sang “Happy Birthday” to Jesus and then we ate cake and ice cream.

Families were encouraged to bring gifts to Jesus. Specifically, we collected canned goods for the local food pantry; first aid and school supplies for Light of the World Ministries, which is working on starting a rescue center in Guatemala; or clothing for Bethel Ministries International to add to its distributions in Guatemala.

On Sunday evening, we were worn out from a full but fun holiday weekend, but I was already brainstorming ideas for next year’s birthday party for Jesus. This is one of those traditions we let go last year because our calendar seemed too full, but I’m glad we made it happen this year. Yes, we do it for the kids, but it certainly helps my weary soul rejoice.

What Christmas tradition in your life do you love?
_____________________

Want more insights? "Peace in the Process: How Adoption Built My Faith & My Family" is available on Amazon. Like me on Facebook, follow me on Twitter, peek into my life on Instagram, follow 152 Insights at Bloglovin', or subscribe to receive "Insights in Your Inbox."

No comments:

Post a Comment