Thursday, October 16, 2014

Infertility was a lemon in my life

Mary Carver’s blog is one of my favorites, probably because the title alone – Giving Up on Perfect – is the lesson God teaches me over and over again. Plus, she’s among the people I’d love hang out with in real life one day. And she edited my ebook.

Speaking of my ebook, I’m sharing an amended version of the introduction from “Peace in the Process: How Adoption Built My Family & My Faith” at Mary’s blog today. She’s writing a series about making lemonade from life’s lemons – which is something I know a little about.


One day in December 2004, I realized the birth control pills I was taking regularly were preventing God from having his way with my family. Like every stereotypical young, American couple, we decided we were “ready” to have a baby. My husband Greg was already ready and was just waiting – quite patiently, I might add – for me to want a family.

My time table was a good one. I had the sequence of events figured out and inked on the calendar. But nothing was going according to plan.

But, really, all that control I was scared to death to give up is like a big pile of lemons. Sometimes it looks pretty, but it’s often sour. Life was giving me lemons, and I struggled to make lemonade.

Nearly two years went by and for various reasons we were still childless. Yes, I cried out to God when friends announced pregnancies: “I told you I was ready!” There they were, sipping on their lemonade while I stared at the pile of lemons I was just making bigger.

The waiting made me weary. The medicine that helped me ovulate made me cranky. The whole season put a strain on my marriage.

I just wanted to have a baby.

That was the next step in life, in my plan.

But it wasn’t the next step in my life as God saw it.


Join me over at Giving Up on Perfect for the rest of this portion of my story. And stay awhile and browse Mary's wit and wisdom. 
________

Want more stories? "Peace in the Process: How Adoption Built My Faith & My Family" is available on Amazon. Like me on Facebook, follow me on Twitter, peek into my life on Instagram, follow 152 Insights at Bloglovin', or subscribe to receive "Insights in Your Inbox."

No comments:

Post a Comment