Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Be brave. Relief will come.

Even at 4 years old, he had a plan. Be brave for the shots and then go to Chick-fil-A.

Ben was recently diagnosed as being allergic to trees, weeds, grass and dust mites. Clearly these are things I can't really keep away from him. So allergy shots it is. Yes, plural. One in each arm twice a week, starting today. The frequency will become less as the treatment continues. Hopefully his ear infections and nose bleeds will become less frequent too.

He didn't want to pull away from the plan until the nurse was holding the needle. Then he didn't want to be brave anymore. He wanted to kick and pull away. He wanted to resist.

I can see a bigger picture. I understand that this momentary fear will be so worth it once he has relief. He could only see that needle in her hand and the one near her on the counter. He could only remember how all those pricks in the back and arms bothered him before.

I remember how scared I was when I was diagnosed with insulin-dependent diabetes a decade ago. That fear propelled me forward but in the beginning if I thought too much about the needles piercing my flesh I got nauseated. I still can't watch nurses draw my blood. Yet I overcame the fear because I learned it was worth it to feel better and I became comfortable taking care of myself this way.

As Ben pulled away from me this morning, trying to escape this needle that would be such a blip in the big picture, I realized I do the same thing with God sometimes.

I get scared sometimes too, even when I have a plan. I want to pull away from the One who is orchestrating the details because I have a plan of my own. I want to pull back from people I love because they've frustrated me. I want to push against change that will heal my soul and risks that will strengthen my faith.

But relief will come. 

If I just take that first step

or send that email

or ask that friend how I can pray

or try that new thing

or meet that new person

or go to the place I've never been

or let go of control, again

or if I try again after I failed the first time.

God is the giver of the dreams, so he's going to give us what we need to overcome the fear. He's going to strengthen us and heal us as we face whatever fears are like needles piercing our life.

Ben survived the two shots this morning. I'm pretty sure he'd forgotten about his fear by the time he ate his Chick-fil-A biscuit and climbed in the play area. That's the thing about fear, it's fleeting if we cling to the One who promises everlasting relief. 
________

I'm sharing this story with God-sized Dreamers, Crystal Stine's Behind the Scenes, Jen Fergson's Soli Deo Gloria Party and Lyli Dunbar's Thought-Provoking Thursday.

Want more stories? Like 152 Insights on Facebook. Follow me on Twitter and Instagram. Follow 152 Insights at Bloglovin'. Subscribe to receive "Insights in Your Inbox."

8 comments:

  1. Brought back memories of the day my son was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. He was so afraid of needles. Hard to believe anymore. And today your words come with good timing. I just needed this encouragement on a day when fear seems to be creeping in. Wishing it was time for him to come home and feeling a little sad. But God... love those two words... He is the giver of dreams... He will use this time to strengthen us.
    Love you sweet friend,
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet boy and so brave!! Ad these words...oh so true - "God is the giver of the dreams, so he's going to give us what we need to overcome the fear. He's going to strengthen us and heal us as we face whatever fears are like needles piercing our life." Yes thank you for that reminder!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. KristinHillTaylor1/21/2014 7:54 PM

    I'm glad I'm not the only one who needs to be reminded. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. KristinHillTaylor1/21/2014 7:58 PM

    How old was your son when he was diagnosed with diabetes? I have a post in the works for my "10-year anniversary" of my diagnosis later this month. I've always thought managing a child's diabetes would be so hard.


    I'm sorry you're having a rough day. I know you're going to have such a testimony when this season is over. You're a brave, beautiful friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Girl, we are so on the same wavelength this week! Just to take that next step. To work on that thing that scares us for just two minutes... Yes. So sorry to hear your son has to go through all this. Praying God would give it meaning for him, as it's done for you here. Blessings. Glad to see you on the Godsizeddreams.com linkup!

    ReplyDelete
  6. KristinHillTaylor1/22/2014 7:53 AM

    Thanks, Laurie! I hope God reassures you as you take those steps!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor pumpkin! I hate needles, too... I close my eyes every time.

    I love what you shared here, Kristin. More and more each day, I am beginning to see how fear is such a tool of the enemy to keep us from experiencing the full abundance of what God has for us. -- It's never as bad as I think it's going to be. Oh, for the courage to just take that step...

    Thanks for linking up at Thought-Provoking Thursday today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. KristinHillTaylor1/23/2014 7:17 PM

    Hi, Lyli! I'm with you. When I take those steps, I see more of what God has for us. It's so much better than the fear. I'm learning that slowly. :)

    ReplyDelete