Thursday, June 13, 2013

{Dear Weary Mom} I used to ...

Seeing my kids wear navy blue and black together used to bother me. Now I like that they dress themselves and realize realize my 6-year-old is right: Dark blue and black are close.

I used to lay awake and think about the dishes in the sink or the piles on the counter. I still don't like clutter or unwashed dishes but I've realized a good night's sleep is valuable and I can unload the clean dishes from the dishwasher and load in the dirty ones in the morning.

I used to think my whole to-do list had to get done on Monday morning before lunch. Now I see that I have all day and tomorrow and the days after that. {This is a philosophy I continually remind myself of, but it's always worth it.}

Projects used to become before people. Now I'm trying to balance and be fully present with whichever of the two I'm with at that moment.

There was a time I wondered if I'd always be months and years behind in scrapbooking. Now I'm happy to get a couple hours to wade through 2011 pictures and, more importantly, make memories now in 2013. {Thank God for my iPhone, which helps me remember moments and stories I'm afraid I'll forget.}

My hair used to be dried after my shower that always happened in the morning. I used to run into the grocery store for one can of tomato sauce. Honestly, I'm not sure what I used to do with my time.

I used not to be a mom. Being a mom has changed me and shaped me and given me perspective. Yes, some days are exhausting. Weeks and months may seem hard. I've said this is the hardest job I've ever had. But, really, it's more than a job. It's a calling. It's a relationship. We may be weary but we are making a difference and changing little lives.

One day we will look back and say, "They used to be little and need me every waking moment. I used to be weary, but they were certainly worth it."
________

I'm linking up with Hope for the Weary Mom because we all need encouragement. Want more? Subscribe to get "Insights" in your inbox. Like 152 Insights on Facebook. Or follow me on Twitter and Instagram.

No comments:

Post a Comment