Tuesday, April 2, 2013

{God-sized Dreams} Love the Lord, Love your neighbor

Easter 2013.

We are going to see the two thieves that hung on crosses on Calvary next to Jesus in heaven.

And you know what? They weren't baptized. They didn't tithe. They didn't teach Sunday school or volunteer in the hundreds of other ways churches need. They didn't set out to share the gospel.

But you know what else? We get to. We get to make public expressions of our faith. We get to give away our money, time and talents. We get to tell about how Jesus saved us. We get to bring glory to God here on earth.

I'm not much for theological debates. But lately I've found myself wondering how some people can believe one thing about baptism and other congregations hold fast to another practice. I was baptized as an infant, became a Christian in high school, was baptized in college, and have heard so many different ways this symbolic dunking {or sprinkling ...} has happened in others' lives. Honestly, I was discouraged last week about this topic.

But then when I was watching a pageant about Jesus' life, I realized those thieves weren't even baptized because they chose to follow Jesus to his Father in the final moments of their life. And Jesus said they would be in paradise with him.

It may be a simple faith, but in that moment I remembered these rules and practices about baptism {or substitute another theological divisive issue} doesn't matter. To debate can distract me from the glory of God. I fell victim to an internal debate last week that wasn't even necessary. It caused tears, an over-reaction, and an argument with my husband and then stole the joy I should have expressed.

In this week's dream post, Holley Gerth asks this:

We’ve talked a lot about "what" your dream is and now it’s time to tackle the "why" behind it. Why is your dream worth pursuing, fighting for and seeing through no matter what happens? 

I dream of writing and promoting while embracing God as the author of it all. I dream of adopting again. And I dream of being a wife and mom first before the tasks that clutter my to-do list.

That's the what.

But why?

It's all worth it because Jesus died on a cross and invited the neighboring criminals to heaven with him. Those of us who have already decided to follow Jesus to His Father have a chance to make that news known.

We can give and share and dream. We can discuss and debate and then walk away friends because it's not really about us anyway. We can learn and grown as we're perfected through our experiences.

We can decide how to make God known in our everyday lives. 

Maybe that means being dunked in water. Maybe that means raising your hands to songs that express thoughts you hadn't put into words yet. Maybe that means giving away money, spending your time helping others, or volunteering at a food pantry. Maybe that means writing a book.

The plans {read: dreams} God has for our lives vary because he created us each to be unique. Seek the creator and author of it all and you'll find where he wants you to do what he has called you to do. And where you are won't look just like where your parents, your best friend, those moms you admire, and your neighbor are.

But in whatever we do, we should come back to what Jesus called the greatest commandment: "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind." This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: "Love your neighbor as yourself." {Matthew 22:34-40}

That should be the why for all the whats in our lives. 
________

 Tuesdays are God-sized Dream days around here and I'm linking this post along with many, many other dreamers oHolley Gerth's blog. You'll find encouragement, truth and community there.

I'm also linking up with Soli Deo Gloria Party at Finding Heaven Today. 




{Edited on Wednesday, April 3} I was going to write a new post for #TellHisStory that Jennifer Dukes Lee hosts for storytellers, but I decided to link this post. It's one of those I wrote for myself as much as anyone reading it, so I want to soak it up a little longer. Plus, really, doesn't that picture of those sweet kinds walking to plant daffodil bulbs just scream "Spring"? 



Want more? Subscribe to get "Insights" in your inbox. Like 152 Insights on Facebook. Or follow me on Twitter and Instagram.

22 comments:

  1. Jennie Woelpern4/02/2013 9:17 AM

    This spoke to me in so many ways, especially about baptism. Can't wait till Jen H event to hang out!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your perspective on the unique ways God is calling each us to follow Him...and the fact that worshiping Him looks different to everyone. Beautiful, friend...it's a blessing to hear how He's working in your heart. Thank you for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. KristinHillTaylor4/02/2013 9:18 AM

    We'll have to talk more about it, Jennie! Maybe we can do lunch again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. KristinHillTaylor4/02/2013 9:18 AM

    Thank you, Mel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it is so incredible how God walks us through our own healing, and then (hopefully) we are able to use those to help others...wow. Such an important post here. And a great reminder of the "true" why behind all the other why's. : ) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. KristinHillTaylor4/02/2013 9:41 AM

    I do believe we go through the hard times so we're more equipped to help others. Thanks for your comment, Christine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post Kristin! It can be really easy to get all hung up on the details and forget that we just need to love each other and accept that there are going to be differences. When we love well that points to Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  8. KristinHillTaylor4/02/2013 10:37 AM

    And that's really the point of life, right? I'm glad we can be brought back to that one main thing. Thanks for your comment, Alecia!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is great -- legalism and arguing can be such a trap for Christians. May we understand why we say the things we say and do the things we do -- may we be always subject to the prompting of the Spirit as we speak and work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I grew up in a Lutheran church and was baptized as a baby...joined a Baptist church and was "required" to be baptized as a part of membership and are now at an E-free church where it is a public expression of faith...considering doing it this summer when my son does b/c it would be my "choice" and a desire to be an example. But I agree - we do spend so much time fighting and defending...as churches we need to unite so that Christ's voice is heard more in our country!! Great post Kristin!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gisela Dieter4/02/2013 2:26 PM

    I love your blog and I love the idea of having God-Sized Dreams. There are no limits to what the Lord can do with our lives if we have a willing heart. "Embracing God as the Author of it all" what a wonderful dream! Blessings to you always and thank you for stopping by my blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. KristinHillTaylor4/02/2013 5:29 PM

    Thanks, Gisela!

    ReplyDelete
  13. KristinHillTaylor4/02/2013 5:30 PM

    Thanks, Kristin! I love your desire to be an example for your family. It's true that unity will come when we focus on the truth that we just celebrated on Sunday - Jesus is alive!

    ReplyDelete
  14. KristinHillTaylor4/02/2013 5:32 PM

    And, you know, the arguing and legalism in my own life is such an internal struggle that comes out in judgmental ways. Yes - understanding is so, so important. Thanks for your comment, Jennifer.

    ReplyDelete
  15. "We get to" has become a motto over my life since 2007 when my hubby had a heart attack. There are so many things that we used begrudingly say we got to do but after that day we are happy to say we get to do those things. The change in attitude really does make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  16. "We can decide how to make God known in our everyday lives." It is just amazing how He gives us this choice, this opportunity, this gift! And I love how He tugs on our hearts, knowing how He has designed us to receive joy while serving Him!

    ReplyDelete
  17. KristinHillTaylor4/03/2013 8:38 AM

    What a powerful motto! And, yes, attitude makes all the difference in our days!

    ReplyDelete
  18. KristinHillTaylor4/03/2013 8:38 AM

    Yes, it's definitely a choice - and that's something I'm still learning!

    ReplyDelete
  19. "To debate can distract me from the glory of God." Yes. I know this, too. Getting pulled into arguments over minor things is almost always a waste of time except for the lesson it teaches us to not do it again (which I'm slow to learn). Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. KristinHillTaylor4/03/2013 12:00 PM

    I'm slow to learn too. :) Thanks for visiting, Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my -- I'm with you girl! I think we hang on to the traditions and man-made sentiments of the church way too tightly! Jesus was busy about His Father's business, but we surely don't see Him squabbling over things that don't matter. He was out loving on the people, plain and simple. Thank you for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  22. KristinHillTaylor4/05/2013 7:43 AM

    Ah, yes, I know about holding on too tightly. :) Thanks for your comment, Alene.

    ReplyDelete