Sunday, March 10, 2013

R-A-C-E-R-S! Racers! Racers! Go Racers!


Around here, March means basketball. 

We spent Friday night and all day Saturday in Nashville, where our Racers were playing in the Ohio Valley Conference Tournament. We wore blue and gold all weekend, stayed in a new-favorite hotel, ate good food, visited with friends, ran into other friends, and enjoyed being together.

For you basketball fans, Murray State beat Eastern Kentucky on Friday night to advance, but then lost in a heart-breaking game to Belmont. Even so, I'm so glad we were able to watch these two games. After a season with some ups and downs coming on the heels of last season -- the best ever in MSU history -- these games made me proud to be a Racer.

Friday night the game didn't tip off until about 8:30 p.m. Y'all. My kids usually go to bed around 7 p.m. So the game didn't end until 10:30ish and then it was a little after 11 by the time we got into our hotel room. And, well, you know, it's exciting to stay in a hotel. So it took the kids some time to settle down in their pull-out-bed and it was around midnight before all was quiet from their portion of the room, which was actually their own room.

We managed to sleep in a little and then had a leisurely morning eating breakfast and hanging out at the hotel before we went to Opry Mills mall, where we had lunch at Rainforest Cafe with friends and shopped some. And then it was on to the championship game.

Most of the day was full of me being proud of how my kids behaved and reacted. I truly treasure the words from my non-momma friend who reminded me in an email exchange that making memories is an important part of parenthood. She's right. And, you know, I didn't take a ton of pictures like I tend to do, especially during a road trip. I was thankful for the time to be truly present with my family, laugh with my husband, and just enjoy each other.

Do like college basketball? Who will you root for in March?
________

Look back at our other trips to the OVC Tournament: 2012. 2011. 2010. 2009. 2008.

Want more? Subscribe to get "Insights" in your inbox. Like 152 Insights on Facebook. Or follow me on Twitter and Instagram.

No comments:

Post a Comment