Friday, June 22, 2012

On the road to the great unknown


'Cause if you never leave home, never let go
You'll never make it to the great unknown
'Til you keep your eyes ... open my love

-From "Keep Your Eyes Open" by NEEDTOBREATHE

I love road trips. I like going to places I've been before. And I like seeing new places. My family has pretty much vacationed at two beaches {Perdido Key, Fla., and Hilton Head Island, S.C.} my whole life, starting when I was a kid and continuing now that my brother, sister and I have our own families.

But tomorrow we're heading somewhere new. It's near somewhere we've been before {Charleston, S.C., which came twice as day trips when we were staying at Hilton Head}, but it's new to us. And I'm excited to spend a week at Isle of Palms, S.C.

And so are the kids. At 5 and 2 1/2, they're into road trips too. I guess that's our doing from loading up and going to all sorts of places their whole little lives. But I'm glad they like to be along for the ride ... and the adventure.

I would have never considered myself adventurous. But I guess in some ways I am. Of course, I did jump off a bridge once. I like roller coasters. And I don't shy away from flying across the world with my then-2-year-old daughter or loading them both up in the mini van for a 12-hour road trip.

Because, really, if you never leave home, you may miss something that's worth seeing and experiencing and hearing and tasting and living. Bring on the great unknown!

Do you have summer vacation plans? Have you been to the Charleston area? Recommendations are certainly accepted. And while we're talking about trips, where are you dreaming of going?


________

Want more? Subscribe to get "Insights" in your inbox. Or follow me on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment