Monday, January 9, 2012

{in}spired

So speak encouraging words to one another.
Build up hope so you'll all be together in this,

no one left out, no one left behind.
I know you're already doing this;
just keep on doing it.

--1 Thessalonians 5:11 {The Message}

I live in a small town. It's the 22nd most populated town in Kentucky, which is known for its horse farms and cornfields than urban areas. My town is less than 10 square miles and has almost 18,000 residents, although it's surrounded my neighborhoods, industries and farms just outside the city limits. And there's a university that inflates the population eight months of the year.

It's easy to drive from one place to another, but sometimes I still mail my friends across town cards. Who doesn't like to get mail that doesn't require money or any future comment? I've had various pen-pal friends throughout my life and finding their letters and cards in my mailbox always gave me a chance to stop thinking about whatever was going on and focus on someone I care about.

So sometimes I mail cards to my friends across my small town.

DaySpring's January {in}spired deal encourages women to continue encouraging each other. It makes a difference in people's day, and even their lives. I have a whole set of cards written by Holley Gerth to encourage, thanks to DaySpring. The cards are pretty and the words are even sweeter. Nuggets of truth are sprinkled throughout. I'm looking forward to sharing with my friends -- in this small town and other places farther from my everyday life.

First up is a friend who lives 3.4 miles away. We became friends not long after I quit my job as a newspaper reporter to become a full-time mom. I knew I didn't want to be in this season alone, so I sought out a mom's group. She and I clicked, and we've been friends ever since, even though the group has since dissolved. Our kids have since become friends and our husbands even work together now. God has blessed my family with her family and reminded me that he's always working in the details.

We've shared countless lunches at the park, our houses and restaurants; she's become a college basketball enthusiast after we invited her just a few Murray State games; we've been swimming and to movies and kids' birthday parties. We share life.

And I want her to know I'm grateful. Seasons with kids are always changing. There's naptimes and bedtimes and school schedules. But not everything has to change, and I want her to know I'm holding on to my friendship with her.

{DaySpring graciously gave me Holley Gerth's cards to review. These were in there too. All the opinions here are mine.}
________

Want more? Subscribe to get "Insights" in your inbox. Or follow me on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment