Sunday, December 30, 2007

Love

"God can soften a heart of granite if you'll let Him. Wait it out a little longer. Laugh a little harder. Snuggle a little tighter. Love by faith. Not just by sight. As the Apostle Paul says, all that matters is faith expressing itself through love."
--Beth Moore on her blog

That quote just touched me just a few moments ago when I read it. Beth Moore's blog entry was her reflecting on her marriage, but that quote goes beyond that. Sure, my heart can always be softer toward Greg; I am, after all, by nature a stubborn perfectionist who wants to be in control. But our marriage is probably in one of the best places it's ever been.

For me, I struggle more to have a soft heart toward people with whom I don't naturally connect yet am around because of circumstances. One particular person here in Murray comes to mind.

I love her too often "by sight" by letting my mind dwell on all our differences -- worship style, parenting style, hobbies, movie choices, music preferences -- rather than focus "by faith" on what binds us -- our by-marriage relationship, motherhood, faith.

So, sure, I can wait longer, laugh harder and love stronger, all with a softer heart.

On a slightly related note, I love how Cate is experiencing love of an extended family during little moments and not just large celebrations, like Christmas. Here are two pictures from "normal" outings around here.

First, at a Murray State game ...


This picture was taken in November as served at my in-laws Christmas picture. We're all dressed in our blue and gold, ready to root on the Racers.

And then in November just before Thanksgiving we had a birthday party at Greg's parents house in honor of a few family members with November and December birthdays. Cate, Elijah and Ethne all paused their various activities to sit on their great-grandparents' laps. Cate's middle name is Greg's grandma's name, so they have a special bond.


Cate seems the most excited! This picture accurately reflect Elijah's hesitation and Ethne's quiet reflection.

No comments:

Post a Comment