Friday, December 28, 2007

Remembering Benazir Bhutto

"Every baby girl has the same rights for a future as every baby boy. ... I don't believe Pakistan can stabilize ... until dictatorship is replaced with democracy."
--Benazir Bhutto during a speech at Murray State in March

My faithful blog readers may remember me writing about Benazir Bhutto. Well, in addition to that column, I covered her speech on Murray State's campus. Since then, reading news about her and Pakistan in general has been easier for me to follow and hits a little closer to home. So you can imagine reading about her assassination yesterday was a bit surreal to me.

My story from March ...


Click on images for larger view.

Eric, the editor at the Ledger & Times, interviewed me yesterday to localize the international news for today's paper. Like I told him, when I listened to her speak in March, I kept thinking I was listening to history. Her words about not choosing this life but vowing to help Pakistan experience democracy are a bit haunting now.

This story today also quoted my story from March.

UPDATED at 3:03 p.m. Just got my paper. (A little later than usual, but the Ledger is an afternoon paper.) Anyway, here's the story ...


No comments:

Post a Comment