Tuesday, April 19, 2016

What a delight! {Rachel @ 7 months}


I was sitting in the kitchen last week when I saw a sweet face peek around the corner from the living room. Rachel had made her way from one room to another for the first time.

And she was delighted.

She is a delight.

I get birth order even more than I did before, and I’m a stereotypical first-born child. But this third-born baby, who is likely our last, soaks up all the attention from everyone and takes short naps when she finally realizes there may not be much to miss. She likes when all her people are gathered together.

I often ask my first-born girl for help. My middle boy requires regular correction and guidance. And then there’s Rachel, the third-born baby after a wait.

We delight in her.

She delights in us.

And I realize she gets a better version of me than my first two got when they were tiny, and maybe even than they do now – not on purpose, but circumstances make it so. I’m quicker to throw the rules and expectations out the window. I’m quicker to embrace the moment because I know this won’t be like this for long. I’m slower to fill our days.

Here we are, Seven Months. And I’m learning things as if I were a mom for the first time. But, you know, I think that’s how it’s supposed to be. Life is always learning and discovering. {Tweet that.}

Just ask Rachel.

She’s crawling now. She especially likes to go to the living curtains hanging but spring rods and the various TV and lamp cords. She also goes from being on her belly to sitting up like a champ. She’s trying to pull up – and did Sunday at church although I couldn’t tempt her with snacks to do it a second time.

She loves to eat – especially when we eat. She loves all those Gerber baby snacks along with bananas, avocados, mandarin oranges, peaches, and yogurt. Really, she’ll eat whatever I give her. She takes about four 8-ounce bottles a day.

Sleeping has been a little unpredictable this month. Usually, she takes a decent morning nap and then naps a couple other times – sometimes in the grocery cart, sometimes in her car set, and sometimes in her bed. I think it’s the being able to crawl and sit up, but she seems to wake herself up easier. Of course, she’s still working on teeth. And probably growing. But she sleeps well and if she does wake up at an hour that’s meant for sleep, she goes back down fairly quickly.

Like I said, she’s a delight.
_____________________

Look back on Rachel’s growth :: One monthTwo monthsThree monthsFour months. Five months. Six months.

Subscribe to get new posts and/or a monthly newsletter with content not available on the blog in your inbox. When you subscribe, I'll send you a FREE #choosingJOY printable.

No comments:

Post a Comment