Monday, January 4, 2016

How I Read Books While Mothering Young Children


When I share the list of books I’ve read at the end of the year, people comment on the amount of books I’ve read, especially given the fact I have young kids. I’m pretty sure other people read many more books than me because, let’s be honest, I like to watch TV too.

{My books lists :: 2015. 2014. 2013.}

But, anyway, I thought I’d share some ways I manage to read books while also mothering my young children, who are currently 8 years, 6 years, and 3 months.

1. I read on a Kindle.

Say what you will about missing the physical turning of pages and the smell of an actual book, a Kindle is convenient. I can have hundreds of books at my fingertips wherever I go. And when I finish one, my next ones are right there.

I do read actual books, especially when I get them free. (See #2.) And I write in them, just in case you’re wondering. I usually also then type all the marked passages into a Word document so I have them to reference later. (Call me a nerd, whatever.) When underlining on a Kindle, Amazon saves these quotes online, which, honestly, is amazing.

2. I review books on my blog.

I get quite a few free books through launch teams and blogger review programs. The deadlines that come with the review process keep me reading too.

3. My kids are big enough to swim without me always being in the pool too.

Well, I have a baby now, but I devoured some fiction books at the pool this past summer. This summer will be a different story. Ah, seasons!

4. I read when I’m waiting or sitting ...

... at the doctor’s office, at the kids’ bus stop, when I eat breakfast, on road trips while my husband drives. And if I could get back in a walking-on-the-treadmill habit, then I’d read there too.

5. If I don’t like a book, I stop reading it.

There are way too many good books to waste time on the ones that aren’t working for me. For real, ain’t nobody got time to wait and see if a book might get good.

Fellow readers, what would you add to your list about how you make time to read?
_____________________

Want more insights? "Peace in the Process: How Adoption Built My Faith & My Family" is available on Amazon. Like me on Facebook, follow me on Twitter, peek into my life on Instagram, follow 152 Insights at Bloglovin', or subscribe to receive "Insights in Your Inbox."

No comments:

Post a Comment