Saturday, July 6, 2013

After the rain

Photo by Jodi Whitaker. 7.6.13. Old Richmond Road in Lexington, Ky.

We ended up playing glow-in-the-dark mini golf indoor inside this evening instead of riding go-carts outside. Turned out to be a good decision. Inside, we putted the fluorescent balls up ramps, through barriers, and toward a small hole; outside, rain poured and thunder clapped.

We've seen very little of the sun the last few days, but enough of it appeared after the storm. The sky was ripe for beauty. And then we saw a rainbow as we drove away from the indoor mini golf course decorated with glow-in-the-dark starfish and lobsters creating a neon beach scene complete with Bob Marley music over the speakers.

Driving just a couple miles across our small town back to our house, we saw the rainbow again when we turned on our street. "It's following us!" Ben piped up from the back seat.

I laughed. I'm not sure if I chuckled out loud or just in my head. But upon doing so, I wanted to take it back. The observation from my 3 1/2-year-old boy reminded me of truth that was declared generations ago when Noah obeyed God and built an ark:

And God said, "This is the sign of the covenant I am making between me and you and every living creature with you, a covenant for all generations to come: I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the earth. Whenever I bring clouds over the earth and the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will remember my covenant between me and you and all living creatures of every kind. Never again will the waters become a flood to destroy all life. Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth."

The rainbow wasn't technically following us. We saw the two times we traveled east on our way home. But God's promises follow us. For generations, God has showed us this sign after storms as a reminder of his everlasting covenant with his people. Tonight, he revealed this to friends who live 267 miles apart in this Bluegrass State as the beauty they witnessed filled my Facebook news feed.

Some days are interrupted. Some plans are changed. Sometimes the sun is a stranger. But the promise God made to Noah many generations ago remains. In that truth, there is beauty that stretches across the sky, and our lives.
________

Want more stories? Like 152 Insights on Facebook. Follow me on Twitter and Instagram. Follow 152 Insights at Bloglovin'. Subscribe to receive "Insights in Your Inbox."

No comments:

Post a Comment