Wednesday, April 10, 2013

{#TellHisStory} Hello, spring ...


My boy has been wearing shorts. He's got scrapes and bruises all over his legs. The poison ivy in his ear, on his chin, along his hair line of the neck, and on his boy part -- really -- is drying up.

My girl is congested but happy it's spring has sprung. She's worn shorts and skirts without leggings. And t-ball starts tonight. She has 5 1/2 weeks of school left.

I've been in flip flops the past few days. We've played at the park and outside in our backyard. We've sat on the porch. The days are longer and my kids require baths more often. And, you know, it's easier to get out of the door without coats and layers of clothes.

My husband likes having baseball on the TV and is looking forward to his outdoor birthday party in 1 1/2 weeks. He's turning 35. The in the two weeks that follow his birthday, I'll turn 34 and Cate will turn 6. I'm ready for him to grill beef, squash and onion kabobs for our dinner.

This is spring. 

Spring is always good for my soul, even if the pollen over takes my senses. Being outside and seeing the sunshine breaths life into my life. There is freedom in running outside, taking walks with my family, and seeing my kids play with each other and their friends.

The newness of springs reminds me that no season lasts forever. I live in a place where winters are mild, but there are four distinct seasons. I like that. I tend to say summer is my favorite, but when I really do like spring and fall too. I say I don't like change, but, really, I'm usually ready for the new season.

And not just the weather ones. There is a season for everything. God created time and continues to work in our lives in his time.

Last week my kids and I took an impromptu trip to the city about 45 minutes away. We had lunch at Chick-fil-A and then went to a local, fun indoor play place. I sat there as they played wishing I'd brought my Kindle. My purse wasn't overflowing because it didn't contain a diaper for the first time in almost 6 years {minus the month Cate was potty trained before Ben was born ...} and nobody needed a sippy cup.

In those moments sitting on that picnic table bench while my kids ran and jumped and played, I realized we were in a new season. My boy, who just weeks ago liked me changing his diaper better than thinking about going in the potty, ushered it in when he decided big-boy underwear really did make life better. I was dreading potty training him. But once he was ready, it clicked. And it wasn't a big, dramatic deal.

And here were are. It's spring, literally, and in my house, where life seems new and fresh. It's not a perfect season. The pollen is wild here and clogs our noses. But this is a welcomed season that propels us forward, inching us closer to the Creator.
________

I'm linking up with Jennifer Dukes Lee and other storytellers. #TellHisStory is a chance to tell a story that connects your story to God's story. 

Want more? Subscribe to get "Insights" in your inbox. Like 152 Insights on Facebook. Or follow me on Twitter and Instagram.

No comments:

Post a Comment