Monday, February 25, 2013

{Cara Box} Beloved Friend

Cara Box
From fourth-grade and continuing for the next 13 years, one of my two best friends was a girl named Cara. It's been a decade since we've been close, and, you know, I miss her. We used to talk about what our lives would be like. We'd dream. And we'd make plans.

My life isn't much like I thought it would be, and it makes me sad she's not part of it. Every scenario I had for life included her. We have a mutual friend so I see the occasional Facebook picture or hear her name. I know tidbits, but those will never fill the gap.

In April 2010, not long after when my father-in-law passed away unexpectedly, I recognized her handwriting in my mailbox. She'd sent my husband and I a sweet sympathy card. She always was good to encouraging people with notes and I was thankful for the reminder of a friendship that will always be dear to me, even if it didn't continue like I had hoped.

When a dreamer friend posted about Cara Box, I was immediately intrigued both because of the name and the concept. Who doesn't want to make a new friend and get real mail? Exactly. And, hey, I learned "Cara" means "beloved friend." Quite appropriate.

So I signed up for the February exchange.

Kaitlyn has quite an efficient operation of matching people {this month by home state} and coordinating a theme, a timeline and rules for a gift box exchange. I sent Mandee a box, although I'm hoping she actually ends up with it. The postal tracking code says it's been delivered, but she doesn't actually have it ... yet. And Whitney sent me a box.




Along with Valentine's Day, this month's theme was about supplying items for a date. Whitney sells Pure Romance products. These are new to me, but that massager is amazing and Greg is looking forward to a question-and-answer game that aims to bring intimacy and conversation. I rarely {um, hardly ever ...} buy beauty products, so the nail polish, lip gloss and exfoliating scrub are nice treats for me.

From reading Mandee's blog, I learned she's a fellow Murray State alum and seems to have an entrepreneur spirit, so I sent her some encouragement with that in mind. While buying, packing and mailing Mandee's gift, I thought these new girls and my old friend who will always be close to my heart.
________

Want more? Subscribe to get "Insights" in your inbox. Like 152 Insights on Facebook. Or follow me on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment