Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Ballerina Cate

Almost a year ago, Cate went to ballet class with her cousin Ethne on bring-a-friend day. It was a class for 4 and 5 year olds, so I had an out for a couple of months when Cate kept asking when she could go to ballet.

Then she turned 4 three months later.

And we bought ourselves a little more time with a household rule of waiting til you're closer to 5 to sign up for any extracurricular activity.

In the mean time, Cate watched countless episodes of "Angelina Ballerina" and performed many shows for us in our living room. She'd occasionally ask about going to ballet class, but she mostly understood she had to wait until she was closer to 5.

Last week I decided to investigate the details of the ballet class. I'd heard good things about it -- the philosophy, the cost, the time. But, you know, I needed to find out for myself. And, you know, turns out my friends were right. It's affordable, offered at a time that doesn't over-commit our family and focuses only on ballet.

I told Cate last Monday afternoon that she could start the class in a week. She's a smart girl, but time is a hard concept to grasp. We counted down the days, and she was so excited to put on those leotard, tights and slippers. She was all smiles and jabber in the hours leading up to her first ballet class yesterday.

She was ready.

And she just danced her way right into a class. Because, you know, she's a ballerina.
________

Want more? Subscribe to get "Insights" in your inbox. Or follow me on Twitter.

1 comment: