Tuesday, June 7, 2011

on purpose

"You are my witnesses," declares the Lord, "and my servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe me." --Isaiah 43:10

Cate pinched her brother because he was messing with the My Little Ponies and Little People who were all set up for a party in the playroom. I heard 18-month-old Ben screech, probably more from hurt feelings than an actual physical injury. I turned to his 4-year-old sister and asked, "What happened to him?"

"I pinched him because he was messing up my party. It was an accident."

"Pinching someone is never an accident. I'm sorry he messed up your party, but you need to tell me and not choose to pinch him." Accident versus on purpose. It's a conversation we've been having over and over again.

I try to explain that an "accident" is something unplanned that just happens without us trying. Yet so many reactions, actions, behaviors and words are our choices, happening on purpose.

While I'm trying to teach my preschooler about this truth, I'm convicted of my own shortcomings. I can choose to calm my tone of voice. I can choose not to yell. I can choose to love more. I can choose to make less demands. I can choose to trust the one who created me.

Afterall, He chose me.

It's not an accident that I'm able to know God, trust God and believe God. He chose me. And you. And her. And him.

And now I want to choose Him more today than I did yesterday. Then the peace that passes all understanding, lasting hope, and glory of God are certainly not accidents.

1 comment:

  1. This is beautifully written and I want to read it again and again.

    ReplyDelete