Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day!

Greg took Cate shopping this morning. On the way there, he apparently asked her what kind of present she wanted to get me. "A big bag" was the response. So she picked out a zebra-print tote bag that I'm sure I'll put to good use soon. I guess it's no secret I like bags; my 3-year-old even knows. Greg also said when they walked by the shoes, she said I needed the pink slippers. I'm wearing them now, and they're quite comfortable. Greg picked out flowers and a card, which Cate signed with a little help. The sentiment was something about her being just like me.

Being a mom is the best thing I've ever done. When I used to think about my life down the road, I never thought I would be staying home with two children we adopted. But, you know, I wouldn't change a thing about our life. Seriously. I like where I am and who I'm with. God teaches me something new every day through my 3-year-old girl and 5-month-old son. They challenge me and inspire me. She makes me laugh. He smiles in a way that melts my heart every time.

Maybe I'll become a little more like her too.

While I'm feeding Ben or helping Cate put on her shoes, I'm sometimes think about these ideas I have to write a book or get back into reporting, but I'm quickly interrupted with needing to burp Ben, change his diaper, fill Cate's cup with apple juice that she still doesn't mind me watering down, helper her in the bathroom ... or many other tasks that easily fill our day. But I don't mind. I'll jot down my idea and one day when these two don't need me like they do, I'll have time to be a little more creative. For now, I'll let get creative with Play-Doh and crayons. And I'll let these two fill my time all they want.

Because I know it won't be like this for long.

3 comments:

  1. That is a great pictureof you and the kids. And I loved reading about Cate's gifts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad that you had a great Mother's Day. It's been so cool to see you grow in your confidence as a mom and how beautifully you are adjusting to two babies. I know it was crazy for me for a while. Cate has good taste. I can't wait to get her and Ethne together sometime for a little shopping trip. I know they'll be crazy.

    ReplyDelete