Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Mexican Chicken Chili

Because I'm always looking for simple (yet tasty!) recipes, I thought I'd start sharing some. And I'm hoping you all could too ... either on your blogs or as a comment on my blog. If the recipe as nutritional information, include that.

I met with a diabetes educator a couple weeks ago in hopes of developing better eating habits that will help me lose a little weight and, more importantly, just live a healthier lifestyle. With that, I've been cooking more often. Hence the need for new, simple, tasty recipes. Basically, she helped outline how many protein, carb and fat exchanges I should eat at each meal. I understand "exchanges" from all the carb counting I do to determine how much insulin to take with my food.

Anyway, back on track. The recipes. Here's my first one ... Please join in with yours.


1 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs
1 medium onion, chopped
2 medium celery stalks, sliced
2 cans stewed tomatoes with garlic and onions
2 cans pinto beans, undrained
1 can enchilada sauce
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin

Spray slow cooker with cooking spray. Mix all ingredients together.

Cover; cook on low heat for 7-8 hours.

Stir mixture to break up chicken.

Top servings with corn chips and sour cream. Makes six servings.

SERVING SIZE = 1 2/3 cup
EACH SERVING = 410 calories; 11g fat (4g saturated); 47g carbohydrate (13g fiber; 10g sugar); 31g protein
EXCHANGES = 2 starch; 1 other carb; 3 1/2 lean meat

2 comments:

  1. I'll have to try it. I loe a good crockpot recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got a few I can contribute - have you ever seen the Taste of Home cookbook? I love it because at the end of every recipe they have all the nutritional information included. So I try to base my weekly menu off of that.

    ReplyDelete