Sunday, August 12, 2007

Love Song for a Savior


in open fields of wild flowers
she breathes the air and flies away
she thanks her Jesus for the daises and the roses
in no simple language
someday she'll understand the meaning of it all

He's more than the laughter or the stars in the heavens
as close a heartbeat or a song on her lips
someday she'll trust Him and learn how to see Him
someday He'll call her and she will come running
and fall in His arms and the tears will fall down and she'll pray

i want to fall in love with You

sitting silent wearing sunday best
the sermon echoes through the walls
a great salvation through it calls to the people
who stare into nowhere, and can't feel the chains on their souls



This morning at church, a friend looked at Cate and said, "I know it's not possible, but Cate looks like you guys."

This wasn't the first time someone has told me this. Sometimes I say, "Yeah, I think it's the dark hair, makes it look like she goes with me."

And sometimes I say, "Yeah, it's one of the many ways I know she's meant to be with us."

I'm glad I chose the second response today. It's true.

God orchestrated this adoption. I should be surprised he knew what he was doing. He's the creator of the world, and he adopts me and other imperfect beings into his family every day. He created me. He created Greg. He created Cate's birth mother in a way that gave her strength not to terminate her pregnancy. And he created Cate. He gave us hearts open to adoption. And he strung together all the circumstances leading up to us meeting Cate's birth mother and in turn meeting Cate.

We loved her before we met her. And we feel in love again when we first touched her tiny fingers.

She does belong with us.

We really shouldn't be surprised she looks like she belongs. And we know it is about more than her dark hair.

... it seems too easy to call You "Savior"
not close enough to call You "God"
so as i sit and think of words i can mention
to show my devotion

i want to fall in love with You ...


(Jars of Clay song)

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kristin - Shelley gave me your blog addy awhile back (I think it was to look at a LO or something) and I've been reading but not commenting - don't you just hate that... Anyway.. I'm not sure if you rememeber me from the Indy crop but I was there too. I know at the crop you didn't know that Cate was coming your way and I am just so happy for you all. Congrats!! Your post today made me think about my daycare kids who have been adopted. One girl was from China and looked exactly like her mom - if you saw them out you would just think she must have had a Chinese dad. THe other family had adopted 2 kids from the Ukraine - the kids were not related and the four of them together totally looked alike. Both of those families said exactly what you did - it was reassurance that those children were meant to be with them. It gives me chills thinking about how God works and how blessed each of you (Cate and you and your husband) are to have each other. I know from meeting you AND how highly Shelley speaks of you that you deserve every bit of that blessing!! I enjoying reading your posts! Best wishes to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love psalm 139:13, 15. The description there of weaving and knitting reminds me of the intricate double helix chains of DNA and how God literally knits together the exact components of our genetic material as He is forming us in our mother's womb. I know He just had to be grinning when He chose that dark hair for Cate, knowing it would be just one of many reminders of His sovereign will and deep love for you and Greg! He makes me sing with praises!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yes, Laura, I love that passage to ...

    For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.

    --Psalm 139:13-16

    ReplyDelete