Sunday, April 22, 2007

Trying. Hoping. Living.

Who gets to determine when the old ends and the new begins? It's not a day on a calendar, not a birthday, not a new year. It's an event, big or small, something that changes us. Ideally, it gives us hope, a new way of living and looking at the world, letting go of old habits, old memories. What's important is we never stop believing we can have a new beginning. But it's also important to remember that amid all the crap, there are a few things really are worth holding onto. --Meredith Gray in a second season episode

But the best part is that it can be every day. We can choose to live with this hope each day. Sure, we're not going to meet every goal every day; we're not going to get every item checked off our to-do list; we're not going to make every phone call and write every letter. But we can wake up knowing that we're blessed with another day -- thus another chance -- to be somebody.

(This attitude sort of has been the theme of my year, but not just because that's my personal resolution of sorts. It's also been the result of the circumstances and people around me.)

For the record, on a smaller scale, I'm trying to eat less sugar. I've done pretty good this week. It's hard with all these April birthdays around me, but I feel better passing up a few cookies here and a few pieces of candy there. My diabetes appreciates it and so does every other part of me. Sugar can be a familiar habit for me. It's easy. But it's definitely not necessary. So I'm trying ...

And there's something to be said for trying. And hoping. And living.

No comments:

Post a Comment