Tuesday, April 24, 2007

loving, doing, establishing, keeping, being, standing, going ...

'Cause when push comes to shove
You taste what you’re made of
You might bend ‘til you break
Cause it’s all you can take
On your knees you look up
Decide you’ve had enough
You get mad, you get strong
Wipe your hands, shake it off
Then you stand, then you stand

--Rascal Flatts' chorus in "Stand"

I don't know when something becomes routine. I don't know how many times I have to do make it a habit. But, regardless, I've been thinking about routines and habits and "that's what I usually do." I must have a slightly addictive personality (which does run in my family, but I think more generally is human nature ...) because I become comfortable quickly and I resist changing any comforts. So, I'm realizing more and more that even good routines need to be shaken up sometimes for the sake of learning and experiencing. With that said, I'm trying to establish some new habits while trying not to fall into the that's-what-I-usually-do trap.

Example: Diet Dr Pepper is better for me than Dr Pepper but water is better.

That's a shallow example. But it's safer than discussing how I can even find myself falling into habits with people I love. I've been on guard with those lately too.

There's a thin line between (I suddenly have one of my favorite Indigo Girls' lines streaming through my head: "And it's a thin line between pleasing yourself and pleasing somebody else ...") loving people, doing what's right, establishing good habits, keeping up with responsibilities and commitments, and being flexible enough to go with the flows of life. And standing through it all is what keeps me going.

No comments:

Post a Comment