Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Learning to pray {a #ThreeWordWednesday post}


Prayer has been one area of my faith that’s challenged me – probably because I could go for some step-by-step how-to instructions. I’ve longed for clear directions on when to pray, what to pray, why to pray and how to pray.

But truth be told, God does give me some of those instructions. He says to pray all of the time (1 Thess. 5:17) about everything (Phil. 4:6). And everyone, really. Even my enemies. And Jesus taught us to pray (Matt. 6:5-15).

Even so, I used to be reluctant to tell someone I’d pray for them. I’d find other words to use. “I hope you ...” “Let me know what I can do.”

I didn’t want to tell them I’d be praying when I doubted my ability. Yeah, the struggles of a recovering perfectionist are real, friends.

“The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know. Pray especially for rulers and their governments to rule well so we can be quietly about our business of living simply, in humble contemplation. This is the way our Savior God wants us to live.”

Lately, God’s been teaching me about prayer. He’s stirred up a desire in my heart to pray for people and let those prayers lead to conversations. It can still be daunting to me, which comes with the vulnerability involved.

Remembering is also important when I pray. I remember what God has done in my life. I remember the answered the prayers – some immediately obvious, others nothing like I expected, and some still in the waiting phase. I remember other people and their needs. And I remember the promises of God.

I don’t have a super organized system to how I pray, but I have been keeping a running list in my journal. It’s the same journal in which I jot down my thoughts, quotes I read, and notes from church. The journal is a hod podge of what’s happening in my head and heart – and in the lives around me.

Some days I read through my list and scriptures come to mind. I text friends as I pray for them. I sent Facebook messages when someone is on my mind.

I have conversations with God that lead to conversations with people. {Tweet that.} These prayers and conversations create bonds. And I’m learning this is the heart of God, to truly love people and pray for them. That’s certainly something I want to remember.

So, that begs the question: How can I be praying for you?
_____________________

RECENT RESOURCES :: I recently watched “War Room” and read “Handle with Prayer: Unwrap the Source of God's Strength for Living” by Charles Stanley. I’m also currently doing a study on prayer through Undivided Women to kick off the new year.
_____________________




Want more insights? "Peace in the Process: How Adoption Built My Faith & My Family" is available on Amazon. Like me on Facebook, follow me on Twitter, peek into my life on Instagram, follow 152 Insights at Bloglovin', or subscribe to receive "Insights in Your Inbox."

No comments:

Post a Comment