Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Essence of Joy {lessons from the tennis court}


We went to play tennis Sunday afternoon because the weather was perfect and Greg had been telling the kids we’d go. I was texting with Sarah afterwards and she said, “I didn’t know you played tennis.”

Well, I don’t, actually. I’m really pretty awful.

Greg does. He’s sports guy kind of guy.

The kids don’t really play either. Ben swings the racket like a baseball bat sometimes and a golf club other times. And Cate tries hard and understands the general idea.

We have rackets and bought some new balls after church, but I wouldn’t go as far as to say we play tennis. We laughed and joked around. We gathered all the balls that went in all the wrong directions. We enjoyed the sunshine and each other.

While attempting to get the neon ball back over the net in the right direction, I thought about all the times I didn’t participate in so many other activities throughout the years because I was worried I would do them well enough or someone may laugh at me.

Fear robbed my joy too many times. {Tweet that.}

I don’t like doing things I’m not good at or that have the potential to make me look foolish. It’s part of my Type A, perfectionist personality. But I’m learning – slowly, because I’m a tad stubborn too – to let go of those fears. Take Sunday: Nobody is judging how I play tennis. But I got to hang out with my family and do something they’re interested in doing.

Yes, I thought about taking a book I want to read and camp out beside the tennis courts. But I’m glad I stepped on the court with my favorite people instead.

Team Taylor isn’t going to win any tennis titles, but we had fun anyway. And that’s the essence of joy.
_____________________

It's been awhile since I've shared here, but I'm still keeping a #choosingJOY list of moments, people, places, and experiences that make me pause and notice everyday joy around me. Noting these joys has helped transform my perspective.

515. Surprise baby cake and gift from Greg's men's group. 516. Being at the lake for a hot Labor Day. 517. Drone group photo. ... 521. People asking if I will talk with them about adoption. Always, yes. ... 527. Grandparents Day at school – and Mom being willing to come down for it. 528. Friday evening at the lake with Greg’s office staff. 529. Perfect weather for soccer. 530. Baby shower given by church friends! 531. The diaper cake from Marley and Joann. ... 534. Sitting down to watch TV after a PACKED weekend. 535. Colored pens & Precept study.

I'd love for you to join me! Share on social media and use #choosingJOY. Instagram is my favorite place to share.
_____________________
Hey, #ThreeWordWednesday friends, we have some people joining us today from the weekly Works for Me Wednesday link up Mary Carver from Giving Up on Perfect usually hosts. Her blog is getting a redesign, so we're combining our Wednesday link ups. The more the merrier, right? Plus, y'all know I like a good party. Works for me! 

152 Insights to My Soul


   
An InLinkz Link-up
   
Want more insights? "Peace in the Process: How Adoption Built My Faith & My Family" is available on Amazon. Like me on Facebook, follow me on Twitter, peek into my life on Instagram, follow 152 Insights at Bloglovin', or subscribe to receive "Insights in Your Inbox."

No comments:

Post a Comment