Thursday, August 7, 2014

Soaking in what's left of summer


We’ve been soaking in summer before school starts again. Several of my friends sent their kids back to school this week. I’m thankful we’ve got until Wednesday. Six more days.

I might be ready by then.

I might not.

But it doesn’t matter if I’m ready. School starts Wednesday.

I’m pretty sure my kids will be ready ...

Seasons are like that. They come when they come, even if we’re not ready. They overlap sometimes too. It’s probably not going to cool off just because my kids are going back to school soon. We’ll probably still get to swim on the weekends for the rest of the month.

I left my calendar blank this week so we could fill it as we wanted. So far the kids and I swam with friends two different days, spent another day at a nearby water park, and eaten dinner out with friends. Greg and I watched movies and TV – “The Big Wedding” the other day; “Covert Affairs” on Tuesday night; “Tiger Eyes” on Wednesday night only because I loved the book as a teenager; “Stuck in Love” last night – after the kids crashed in their beds.

{Don’t worry. I bought the kids’ school supplies a couple weeks ago in an effort to take care of business so I could avoid worrying about school until I absolutely had to. Good plan, huh?}

I told Greg I would resume cooking and cleaning eventually. He was satisfied when I made some chocolate chip banana bread out of our too-old bananas.

I may go to the grocery today, which would be a good step toward resuming that cooking chore I’ve neglected. The kids and I may organize and clean a little more. Or perhaps we’ll drop off that pile of stuff I’ve purged.

Of course, we are still in our pajamas and it’s almost lunch time.

The one thing I know for sure about the rest of this week, the weekend, and a couple days next week: We’re still soaking in summer.

When do your kids go back to school? Are you ready? How are you soaking in the remaining tidbits of summer?
________

Want more stories? Like me on Facebook, follow me on Twitter, peek into my life on Instagram, follow 152 Insights at Bloglovin', or subscribe to receive "Insights in Your Inbox."

2 comments:

  1. You do summer so beautifully, Kristin! We have just one more week than you do. Love the freedom and joy you pursue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. KristinHillTaylor8/10/2014 8:05 PM

    Thanks, Jennifer. I've loved seeing all your pictures of your summer adventures. Looks like y'all have had so much fun. Of course, after I posted this, we had a rough summer afternoon. Parenthood keeps me on my toes, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete