Monday, May 6, 2013

And then she was 6 ...



Dear Catherine Anna,

You made me a momma six years ago, just three days after I turned 28. Without trying to speak in stereotypical hyperbole, these have been the best six years of my life. That doesn't mean they've been easy. But the couple years getting to that moment when I finally held you, the girl God chose for our family, were the hardest.

I adore you. Your story is my story because in bringing you home, God brought me closer to him. You were relief to my heart that had cried out to God. You're proof God is faithful and has a plan far better than anything I tried to orchestrate myself.

And you're growing up.


You've lost five teeth and have a sixth not far behind. You color beautiful pictures and tell stories with so many details. You read all your own birthday cards this year. You like horses and sparkly things.


You're a great big sister. Yes, Ben annoys you and disrupts your plans, but you watch out for him and guide him. He's blessed to have you to follow around. Just after you blew out your candle on Saturday while you were surrounded by friends, I caught a glimpse of you and Ben having a sweet conversation.



You're a good friend. You play well with others and think about your friends when you aren't with them. You've embraced school and learned so much, just like we knew you would.

When you sit in my lap, I can't believe how long your legs are and how big you've gotten. Some days it seems like yesterday when I could hold your entire body in the length of my lap. These six years have gone by fast, but they are ours.

In these last six years, you've challenged me and entertained me and showed me what's important and embodied joy. These years are chapters in the story God has for you and me. I can't wait to see what happens next.

Love you always,
Momma
________

Look back on other birthday posts: One. Two. Three. Four. FiveWant more? Subscribe to get "Insights" in your inbox. Like 152 Insights on Facebook. Or follow me on Twitter and Instagram.

1 comment:

  1. KristinHillTaylor5/16/2013 2:06 PM

    I don't know why I'm just seeing this comment! Anyway ... thank you, Lisa.

    ReplyDelete