Friday, February 22, 2013

{Five Minute Friday} My Mom

I'm participating in Five Minute Friday, a link-up writing prompt at Lisa-Jo Baker's blog. This week the prompt is "Tell me what your mama did that made her yours ...

Five minutes starts now. GO ... 


My mom signed us up for swim lessons not long after we could walk. I've loved the water ever since. She didn't push us to play sports or an instrument, but she did expect us to finish what we started. She fed us lima beans regularly because that's one of the few vegetables she likes.

She didn't complain about driving me, my brother who is almost three years younger and my sister who is 18 months younger than him to practices or commitments. She let me go to slumber parties, even when she knew I'd be cranky the next day because staying up late doesn't really agree with my mood. She helped us with projects and reminded me the anxiety I felt about speaking in front of my peers would pass.

I still don't like speaking to a crowd -- my peers or anyone else. I still believe in finishing what I start. And I still like to swim. I'm 33 years old, but my mom is still my mom. 

She's supported me from the beginning. She's come when I needed her, like when she drove almost 4 hours when I was admitted to the hospital with my diabetes diagnosis. I may have been almost 25 years old, but I was terrified of my first hospital stay. It even trumped that third grade project on D.W. Griffith.

My mom was there and is there. And she comes here. That picture of us? It's from 2009 when she surprised me at the 30th birthday party my husband planned. See, she was there? And, yes, she supplied that hideous hat!


STOP.

Want to join us? Here are Lisa-Jo's rules: 1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking. 2. Link back here and invite others to join in. 3. Please visit the person who linked up before you and encourage them in their comments. That is like the one rule we all really care about. For reals.

________

Want more? Subscribe to get "Insights" in your inbox. Like 152 Insights on Facebook. Or follow me on Twitter.

3 comments:

  1. Oh to know you always have someone there to fight for you is such a freeing feeling. You have been blessed. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like speaking in front of others either Kristin! I don't think it every gets easy. Maybe easier, but not easy!

    ReplyDelete