Wednesday, January 2, 2013

From my childhood to theirs


I don't want to wish away my kids' childhood, but there are a few things I'm excited my kids are getting old enough and big enough to do. And it's only the beginning. Honestly, there are three things I want my kids to like as much as I liked as a kid. I know, I know, it's their life, but, admittedly, I think roller skating, playing board games and riding roller coasters make life more fun. Plus, they're things we can do as a family. Well, except roller skating, which happens to be the one physical activity my husband missed mastering as a kid. But, hey, he tries!

We've ridden roller coasters {although I'm patiently waiting until they reach the height requirement for the real ones ...} and play board games. And my kids had their introduction to roller skating while we were in Louisville this past weekend celebrating Christmas with my family. What you need to know is my siblings and I went roller skating about once a month, thanks to our elementary school's regular skating parties at Champs. Plus there were countless birthday parties -- ours and our friends' -- held there. Funny thing is, Champs looked just the same this past weekend as it did in 1987.



Cate, who got those pink and white skates for Christmas, asked me how I learned to skate. Honestly, I have no idea. I don't remember learning how. It's one of those things I feel like I've always been able to do, even though I know that's not the case. She held hands with adults for awhile. And then we discovered these PCP-pipe skate trainers available for rent. Totally worth the $3 for the hour she used it. Really, I want to make one so she can learn to the skate in the driveway.

She's much like me, so I gave her a pep talk before we went inside the skating rink. It went something like this: This is going to be hard. But remember you've never done this before so you'll have to learn how. Really, I was giving myself a pep talk too. I know how frustrated I get when I can't do something well. I wanted to remind her that learning a new skill is a process. And I wanted to remind myself not to expect her to zoom around the rink.

It was hard. But she was patient and determined. She fell down. And she got back up. And tried again.

Ben, who is pictured in the top picture, was surprisingly incredible steady on his skates. Perhaps the lower center of gravity helped. Or maybe it's just his all-boy fearlessness. He liked walking in his skates on the less-slick carpet around the rink, but, really, he just wanted to play air hockey in the arcade.

My momma heart was proud and thankful. For her and her attitude toward a new {kind of hard} activity. For my boy, who dived right into this, like he does most things. And for the reminiscing moments with my family. 


And a little blurb on board games. Cate got Hedbanz, which despite the ridiculous spelling, is a fun game we've played before, from her aunt and uncle. We've also been into Trouble, Sorry and Scrabble Junior around here.

What board games do you like to play with your kids? What other activities have you {or will you when the time and age are right ...} introduced your kids to that reflect your own childhood?
________

Want more? Subscribe to get "Insights" in your inbox. Or follow me on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment