Monday, November 12, 2012

{Adoption} Give compassion

Sponsoring kids through Compassion International has opened my eyes to a few things: Poverty is real. I can help do something to change a few kids' daily lives. And my kids can help.

November is National Adoption Awareness month. But there are kids out there who don't need to be adopted, yet their families could still use our help. This way they are given more opportunities to hear about Jesus, better educated, and able to be cared for medically in ways they otherwise wouldn't. This spiritual, educational and medical assistance will give them a better chance at life. Compassion International is one way to help.

I haven't seen Roselyn's Guatemalan home or the countryside Jean knows in Ecuador. But I've read their letters and seen their pictures. It's given me a taste of how different their lives are from what my kids known since the days they were born.

I've also read stories that have softened my heart and inspired me to make adjustments in my comfortable life so I can give. Sometimes giving means money. But giving can also mean writing letters, sending cards and taking the time to care.

A group of writers is going to Peru with Compassion International this week.

You can follow this trip and all their stories. The writers are Shaun Groves, Angie Smith, Jennifer Schmidt, and Kevin and Layla Palmer. You can also follow the group on Twitter. Take some time to read their stories this week.

In Peru, they will witness poverty and the redemption that comes when God's kingdom touches families. They'll meet sponsored kids who are overflowing the joy to put a face with a name that has been signed at the end of a letter. And they'll tell you their stories of what happens when people give compassion.
________

This is the fifth in a series of posts this month in honor of November being National Adoption Awareness Month. You can read my past adoption-related posts here. Want more? Subscribe to get "Insights" in your inbox. Or follow me on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment