Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Grace

What shall we say, then? Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase? By no means! We are those who have died to sin; how can we live in it any longer? Or don’t you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life. --Romans 6:1-4

I heard Coach Steve Prohm say in an interview after the Racers' come-from-behind victory over SEMO last week that he didn't change who he was at halftime. His Racers were trailing, despite their perfect record. He said he didn't yell at his team to get his point across. He remained who he is and encouraged them in ways to play better.

{That's totally a paraphrase of what I remember.}

I thought about his perspective in church Sunday when our pastor was talking about Romans 6. Of course we aren't supposed to continuing sinning so grace can abound. We are made new and are no longer slaves to sin.

But we still sin. Because we aren't Jesus. We aren't perfect. But we need Jesus so when our lives stray from righteousness, we can remain who we are because of what Jesus did for us. He was perfect. And he fulfilled God's plan for his life so we could live with him because we certainly can't do it alone.

We need half-time pep talks rooted in truth. When life gets hard, sometimes we'll feel behind in the game, but we shouldn't what's inside us. God's Spirit lives inside us and what's in will come out. I pray I can let Him overflow out of me when days are hard, feelings are hurt, and parenting challenges me.

I may want to yell. And control. And point out what others are doing wrong. But I've been made new and instead need to cling to who I am and what I believe so God's grace can abound.

And in the end I'll win.
________

Want more? Subscribe to get "Insights" in your inbox. Or follow me on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment