Sunday, September 18, 2011

He reigns

I was cranky this morning thinking about my week while I was getting ready for church. Mostly, I was thinking about how my husband is going to be gone overnight one night. Really, I don't think I'll ever like going to bed without him home. I'm also going to start using an insulin pump. I'm really excited and I have high hopes that it's going to help my diabetes management. But some nervousness set in because I have a love-hate relationship with change.

And then I said it out loud to my husband: "I am sorry I was cranky because I was anticipating the busyness and you being gone one night. I know I have a bad habit of stressing about things that haven't even happened yet. I'm done doing that for now."

So I gave my week up to Somebody who really knows what he's doing. And not long after I was encouraged with every single song we sang at church. He reminds me time and time again that he's in the details.

It's all God's children singing
Glory, glory, hallelujah
He reigns, He reigns
...


He reigns over my days and over my plans and over my emotions. And I know the peace that passes all understanding when I let him be King.

I give my life to follow
Everything I believe in
Now I surrender ...
Savior
He can move the mountains
My God is mighty to save
He is mighty to save ...


He conquered the grave. And he conquers every insecurity and worry that crosses my mind. He is mighty to save. Yes, he's preparing a place for me in heaven, but he's also saving me over and over again as I live my life here. He saves me from a permanent state of crankiness and disappointment and worry.

Our God is greater, our God is stronger
God You are higher than any other
Our God is Healer, awesome in power
Our God, Our God ...


He's greater than my concerns that busyness is encroaching our time as a family. He's greater than my to-do list and responsibilities. He's greater than me and all the times I don't handle things as well I wish I did.

Thankfully, my heart and head are full right now of thoughts of how our God is greater and mighty to save. And, yes, he reigns. Even when I feel crankiness coming, he's reigning and waiting for me to give it all to him, again.
________

Want more? Subscribe to get "Insights" in your inbox. Or follow me on Twitter.

1 comment:

  1. I can so relate to this...stressing/worrying before something's even happened. Thank you for being an example of how I need to handle this stress/worry with other people in my life.

    ReplyDelete