Wednesday, May 6, 2009

We have this hope ...

God did this so that, by two unchangeable things in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have fled to take hold of the hope offered to us may be greatly encouraged. We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure. It enters the inner sanctuary behind the curtain. Hebrews 6:18-19

"A Woman's Heart" -- the Beth Moore Bible study I'm currently doing -- is really speaking to my heart. I find myself jotting down so many notes notes during the video sessions each week and highlighting many truths during the weekly homework.

For those of you unfamiliar with the study, it's about the Israelites building the Tabernacle as God outlined so he can dwell among them. Beth Moore does such a fabulous job of relating those Old Testaments moments to how we can know God dwells among us today. Like the instructions God gave Moses for the Tabernacle, God makes order out of the details in ours lives. Thankfully, we don't have to make sacrifices at the altar like the Israelites did, but we can still experience the intimacy the priest knew behind the curtain that separated the Most Holy Place from the rest of the Tabernacle.

With all of that said, I love the verses above. And, more importantly, I love how God is anchoring me in his hope. Not every season of live is somewhere we want to stay. But that's OK. God didn't intend for us to stay the same. He intends us for us to be transformed from the inside out. (One of my favorite truths: Don't become so well-adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking. Instead, fix your attention on God. You'll be changed from the inside out ... Romans 12:2 {The Message})

So this season of my life involves raising a 2-year-old (officially, today!) and filing out paperwork in hopes of adopting a second child. And, you know, I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. But, with that said, I have this incredible hope that we are going to have a second child. I mean, I really haven't doubted it, but now I'm in it, and I am experiencing that peace that passes all understanding. (OK, another favorite: Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-)

God reassured me of this hope last night during our Bible study, and he added it today while meeting with our social worker from the agency updating our home study. (And on Cate's birthday! What a way to go into the future, reminiscing about the beautiful story from our past.) I started researching placement agencies, and instead of feeling overwhelmed by the process and fees, I felt like I was being led in a direction for our family. We'll have to see, as I have some more research to do, but it's really exciting to be in the middle of this. And knowing we're not alone in it.

2 comments:

  1. Philippians 4:6 is one of my favorite verses. He admonishes us to not be anxious and then tells us how we can accomplish the task. By following his instructions you receive a wonderful peace that only comes from knowing him and doing his will. It is such an encouraging verse and one you and Greg can truly hold on to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this post - a wonderful encouragement regardless of the 'season' we each find ourselves in.

    ReplyDelete