Thursday, July 3, 2008

Writing Motherhood: Names

I've been reading a book called "Writing Motherhood." Like any book, some parts have particularly jumped out at me, particularly the "invitations," which are like writing prompts. Yep, I'm a nerd. Here's something I wrote the other day in my notebook/journal about names.

I've had my baby girl's name in my mind for years. And Greg even liked it too. A couple years ago, I even met a girl named Cate one Sunday at church. She'd become my friend and even quilted my Cate a blanket with their name on it. The first conversation my friend Cate and I had was about how I wanted to name my daughter -- who was no more than a prayer at that time -- Cate, with a C. She said I might regret it when I saw her name misspelled. Nah, K-R-I-S-T-I-N was misspelled more than its fair share, even by people who I know love me. So maybe I didn't have as many pretty pencils with my name down the side as the Jennifers in my class did.

But Kristin Eileen was the name my parents gave me, and for no other reason than they liked it. So I liked it too. It was my name for 23 years of my life, until I got married, dropped Eileen, and added Taylor. Kristin Hill Taylor, officially. I like how it sounds.

Yes, I think of names. But, admittedly, I didn't realize my daughter's initials would spell C-A-T until someone, rather a couple of someones, pointed that out shortly before she was born. I didn't care, though, I like her name, even if her initials spell an animal to which I developed an allergy shortly after leaving home for college that also happens to be the mascot of the college my husband and I root for during college basketball and football seasons.

Catherine Anna Taylor. Catherine is my mom's middle name. Mary Catherine. She goes by Cathy. Anna is Greg's grandma's name. I like how the names sound together and how they're symbolic of joining our families by starting our family. What's ironic is I usually don't like shortened versions of names. Well, maybe I should say, I prefer names like Matthew and Patrick to Matt and Pat. But that's just me. I figure moms and dads give their kids names, why not use them? Who knows. Because I went and named my daughter Catherine and usually call her Cate. I can't explain it.

I do know I love the name Isaac, which means "laughter," but I fear Greg would call him Ike. He told me he would. Yuck. So let's just say we'll have to do some serious discussing before we name our next child, especially if it's a boy.

4 comments:

  1. Is there anything you want to share with us, Kristin?!? lol

    I know what you mean about names. We women have funny quirks and peeves, don't we? :) I loved the name Edward (a family name) even though I dislike the nicknames to go with it. I told myself that we would be gracious in the times people took it upon themselves to call him Ed or Eddie and let him have the freedom to decide what name he'd like to go by as he gets older. But to us, he's always Edward.

    So I normally like full names, and love our dd Genevieve's full name as well. But for some reason, I've always loved the possibility of nicknaming her Veve and so one of these days, she probably will be. But for now, we're a full name family :).

    I guess we really can't have total control over a name no matter what. You'd think Laura was fairly un-nickname-able (aside from Laurie), but my family managed to coin the unflattering Laur and Laurster over the course of my childhood.

    When you think about it, it's really not the NAME itself - made up of particular letters in a particular order - but the meaning, the feeling, the sentiment, the PERSON it represents to those who use it and who own it.

    I wonder what our names will be in Heaven? I have a feeling they will be more perfect and more affirming than anything we could come up with here on earth! In the meantime, I love my kids' names. They carry some kind of magical significance and affection in my heart. But probably not as much because of the names, but because of the precious souls/bodies that wear them :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first thought exactly. Do you have something to share???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope, nothing to share! :) I really didn't realize it was going to sound like I did. Sorry for teasing you! :)

    I just love names. And it's no secret I want to adopt a baby again at some point. And this time I don't have another name stored in my mind like I did Catherine Anna.

    That's all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe she will marry someone with the last name Edwards, Elliott, etc. Then her initials will spell her name--- super cool!

    ReplyDelete