Friday, September 28, 2007

TV paused to parent

Even though I'm not working at the newspaper anymore, I still get that "It's Friday!" feeling. And I'm glad about that. During the week, it is harder for me to remember what day it is, but for some reason Fridays still feel different.

Maybe it's just because Greg and I stayed up late watching TV. We were just so excited for all of "our shows" to premiere.

Our TV watching was paused while we had a conversation about parenting. See, we were at Jaclyn and Bryan's house watching TV. First, "Survivor." Then "Grey's Anatomy." Then "CSI" was on tape. Well, Cate was fine, eating and sleeping during the first two, but then she really uncomfortable/irritated before we started "CSI."

Keep in mind 17-month-old Luke was sleeping in his bedroom not too far away. So when Cate was screaming, all I kept thinking was, "She's going to wake him up." I just really appreciate how good a sleeper Cate is, and I don't want to interrupt other people's sleeping children!

So, we ended up leaving. We did have "CSI" and "The Office" recorded at our own house. And I was having conflicting thoughts about parenting.

Yeah, who knew a night of TV could lead to an analysis of parenting philosophies.

For us, we want Cate to be part of our lives. She's obviously our priority, but she doesn't need to run our household. Really, that idea is more applicable later when she's moving around, talking and making toddler decisions. But she's part of this family. We're the parents. Yet we want her to be flexible. And she is. She's a laid-back, easy-going baby who smiles and jabbers so much more than she cries. But she's also 4 1/2 months old.

Some background here is twice this week we went to Greg's cousins' soccer games, which went past Cate's usual bedtime. She didn't really mind, and just feel asleep on my lap. Although with the cheers around us, the sleep was slightly interrupted. But, still, she was good, and ended up going to sleep for the night a little later than usual when we got home. No complaints -- from us, the parents, or her, the baby. But it was sort of like last night was the third time this week that she was ready for her bed and we weren't at home. Like we were pushing her too much to be too adaptable.

I'm probably over-analyzing this. But it's important to me to make parenting choices now so we can be consistent as Cate gets older. Greg and I are on the same page about being just a bit wiser about our evening plans in relation to what else has gone on in a given week. Despite the tired tears from Cate, I'm glad Greg and I talked about this for awhile last night.

After, of course, George told Izzie he loves her too. And Derek and Meredith had break-up make-out session. And Mark needed a friend. Cristina seemed lonely, even though she thought she was free. And Alex seemed bitter for even Alex. Oh the storylines that will unfold this season.

And, don't worry, the CSIs found Sara. And when she woke up from her unconscious state, she wasn't alone. Grissom was with her.

Most surprising, to me, was Jim and Pam. They really are together. I didn't expect their relationship to be addressed on the season premiere. "The Office" has a tendency to draw out storylines, keeping us viewers waiting to find out what happened. But not this time, and it was entertaining.

You know, it's funny that I just summarized my initial thoughts from three shows -- a medical/soap opera drama, a crime drama and a mock-umentary comedy -- and relationships are all I mentioned. You can tell what's important to me. Although, Izzie caring for the injured deer made me laugh, as did Michael Scott hitting Meredith with his in the parking lot.

Happy Friday.

1 comment:

  1. That book (Grace-Based Parenting) I've been reading says it really well - effective parenting is more like dancing than marching. It seems every time we turn around, we're having to get used to some new development to balance into our current abilities and calling, timeless scriptural ideals, known history of personal mistakes and successes, and future goals for our family. It would be so much easier to draw hard and fast lines, but parenting requires careful observation, wise discernment, and LOTS of God-given grace and love! It's a good thing we're not required to do it by ourselves! Even if we could concentrate on nothing but our children (which we can't, and if we try, they become objects of worship), we could NOT be good parents without the Lord!

    ReplyDelete