Monday, September 24, 2007

cheers and poop

Two stories from our weekend ...

First, Cate helped root UK to victory on Saturday evening. FOOTBALL victory. An on-the-road, conference victory.


OK, so she went to bed before the game was over, but she was in the spirit at the beginning.

Then on Sunday, we went to Clarksville, Tenn., to visit Cassie and Zac because they were there for Austin Peay's homecoming. And a 75-minute drive is better than a 4 1/2-hour drive. So we got to the restaurant about 15 minutes early and I decided to change Cate's diaper.

Good decision.

When I got her out of the car seat, I laid her down on the back seat and realized poop was literally coming out of the bottom of her shorts and onto her leg. The mess was totally out of the bottom of her onesie and through her shorts. And she hardly even wears shorts or pants. I just kind of dressed her up for her Aunt Cassie. Good thing because otherwise the poop would have been all down her leg even worse and all over the car seat.

Lovely.

So I took the shorts off. And I couldn't salvage them. First of all, I didn't want them stinking up my car and I didn't have a Zip-loc or anything to put them in. Also, they were like caked with poop. (Although I probably shouldn't use the word "cake" and "poop" in the same sentence.)

I took her onesie off, which, remarkably, barely had any evidence on it. But enough evidence I didn't want to put it back on her. I quickly realize we didn't pack an extra outfit. Here Cate is 4 1/2 months old, and for the first time ever I don't have an extra outfit with me. Thing is, it's the first time EVER in those 4 1/2 months I NEEDED an extra outfit.

Remember that we were early to the restaurant. So I called Cassie and told her that we were there but we were leaving because we had to go get Cate something to wear. She said they were checking out of their hotel and close to Wal-Mart.

So, instead of packing a mostly naked Cate back into the car, we just waited for Cassie and Zac ... and an outfit.

2 comments:

  1. So funny! I can't even count how many times that has happened to me. The minute you step out for just one quick errand or you forget to double check the diaper bag, you NEED that extra outfit. And it's not there. Priceless. I finally decided to keep each kid an extra outfit and undergarmets (oh, and socks) in a walmart bag under the seat of the van. JUST IN CASE! ;) Oh, I also try to keep a stash of walmart bags in the van as well. Those really are priceless. Especially in emergencies like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH I can so relate... it always happens that way... one time.. (at band camp LOL) I didn't bring any diapers OR wipes cause it was a quick trip and we had a major blow out and I ended up buying wipes and diapers at a gas station... totally PAID for that lesson!! From then on I left wipes and diapers in the car and of course it never happened again.. :) Oh and have you found that you have WAY more convos about poop now that you are a mom?? I know I do.. I never would have talked this much about it and now it's like in every sentence... ;) Funny how mom world changes you.

    ReplyDelete