Sunday, January 28, 2007

happy anniversary ... sort of

Today is the anniversary of when I was diagnosed with diabetes three years ago. That's a strange anniversary to recognize, but let me tell you how much it's changed my life, mostly for the better. Seriously. For the better. I feel better. I know my body better. I am more aware of both this chronic disease as well as how it affects my body. Diabetes is among the greatest lessons I've had in surrendering control. Yes, I have to control the disease in terms of taking insulin, checking my blood sugar and keeping in mind how walking and sleeping, for example, affects these things. It's a process I continually have to manage. Key word: Manage. I don't expect to control the disease but I certainly manage it as responsibily as I can. What a lesson for a perfectionist!

No comments:

Post a Comment