Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Cleaning out my heart

Join the Compassion Blogger NetworkDear God,

I heard something today that had me thinking about what I treasure. I know You've said it before, but I was reminded that where my treasure is, there my heart will be too. In this world, we have so many opportunities to hoard clothes and toys and gadgets, millions of moments where we can choose selfishness over servanthood, and countless times when our emotions get the best of our reactions. But it's also true that in this world, we can give and help and serve and love and focus on truth.

That's what Jen Hatmaker has me thinking about as I read "7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess." I've read chapters on how she fasted from all but seven foods for a month, how she left hundreds of articles of clothing untouched when she wore only seven items for another month, and how she made space in her life {thus her heart} by purging some possessions from her house in order to help others. She had me thinking about You.

All of these things are rooted in who You are, God. You're gracious. And compassionate. And slow to anger. And rich in love. And faithful. And near. And Your kingdom is everlasting.

This alone should be enough for me to make spaces in my closets and my heart, on my calendar and in my checkbook. Yes, for You. But also for them. For my neighbors, the ones I know and the ones who are strangers. For my family and friends. For my enemies, yes, even them. For kids who aren't growing up in the same culture of excess that surrounds me and my kids.

So I purged some clothes and purses and shoes from my closet. Really, I'm not even a clothes and shoes person. I do like bags. But Your truth that where I spend my money and my time and my energy will lead my heart. And I want my heart led closer to You. Cleaning out my closet won't do that alone, but that action happened while I was thinking about this culture of excess and how somebody else that has drawers and closets and hearts that desperately need filled with truth only you, God, can provide.

While I was making a pile on my bed, I thought about Roselyn. And Jean. And how Your truth crosses cultures and countries. We spend $76 each month so their lives can be changed physically, medically, educationally and spiritually through Compassion International. Perhaps it makes them feel rich. And they are. But their wealth isn't displayed excessively in houses and vehicles and gadgets and clothes like ours sometimes is. You make us rich, God.

So, yes, God, where my treasure is, there my heart will be too. Purging my closets is one way I took action today. Sponsoring kids through Compassion International is another way to help bring your kingdom near. There are so many things I can do for You, God. I pray You show me who and when and how. I pray You give me opportunities to make you known because when you are made known, there is compassion and eternal wealth.

In Jesus' name. Amen. 
________

If you're looking for a way to give to someone, please consider sponsoring a child through Compassion International.
________

Read other Compassion-related posts here. Want more? Subscribe to get "Insights" in your inbox. Or follow me on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment