Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Surprise Snow Day! {aka Happy early Valentine's Day to me!}


I woke up, realized my son was sound asleep cuddling with me after waking up much too early, and glanced at my iPhone clock: 7:09.

“Ben, I’m going to have to take you to school because we’re going to miss the bus!” I said as I bolted out of bed.

I heard the shower running, so I opened the door and asked Greg, “Did my alarm not go off?” It was a weird question to ask because it’s set to “boing” at 6:30 a.m. each weekday. I’ve been known to forget to turn off the automatic setting when we have a planned day off from school.

Turns out, my husband, who was up with teething Rachel at 5:20 a.m., realized other area schools were cancelled and my kids’ small private school would probably cancel too. So he took my phone and silenced the alarm, just as the “Snow day!” text came in from the school principal. I guess he put the phone back beside my bed before he got in the shower.

I slept through it all.

Well, I heard Rachel at 5:20 a.m. and thought I would have to take over the early-morning feeding because Greg usually has Bible study at 6 a.m. While I slept, he cancelled that too.

Greg has known me for 18 years. We dated for 4 ½ years and have been married for 13 ½ years. (There were the times during those early years of dating that I broke up with him, generally because of my own insecurities, but we don’t need to discuss that saga right now. BUT you can read about our first meeting and our first-date day.)

He knows me.

He knows I like flowers, but I really love when he gifts me tickets to a concert so we can go together.

He knows I like to ask questions, but I really do like surprises too.

He knows I value sleep, and he definitely knows I’m not a morning person.

So, happy early Valentine’s Day – which we affectionately like to call First-Date Day – to me because I got a surprise snow day! As a momma, especially one with a newborn, this kind of surprise is rare, but I’m so grateful Greg and I are a team in this life.
_____________________
‘Tis the season for love! But yesterday I also was reading through “Team Us” by Ashleigh Slater before I packaged it with another marriage book – “A Lifelong Love” by Gary Thomas – to mail to a newlywed friend. In the note I included, I told her marriage is hard, especially in the early years, but it gets better with time. With a baker’s dozen of years, I can say that a mean it. We’ve had hard times, and I’ve done more than my share of crying and yelling. But I’m a better person because of my marriage, and I’m grateful we’re not the same people we were when we met or when we said “I do.”

Read reviews of some of two books :: “Team Us” // “A Lifelong Love
_____________________

Want more insights? "Peace in the Process: How Adoption Built My Faith & My Family" is available on Amazon. Like me on Facebook, follow me on Twitter, peek into my life on Instagram, follow 152 Insights at Bloglovin', or subscribe to receive "Insights in Your Inbox."

No comments:

Post a Comment